smallbear2025
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I'm kind of freaking out and having a lot of toxic and negative thoughts after receiving a waitlist decision from my last interview. I would greatly appreciate some advice as to what I should do next. I feel lost, stuck, sad, distressed, and hopeless. Please help, any advice or thoughts are appreciated <3
About me: I am a first-generation American from a mixed asian-latinx household. CA resident. I graduated in 2024 from a T20 school with a 3.86 GPA, 3.87 sGPA, neurobiology major. I took the MCAT 2x, first was a 512 (128/128/128/128) and second was 516 (127/130/129/130). I am on 1.5 gap years (now maybe have to take a third)
leadership:
1150 hours as vp of sorority
research:
330 hours biomedical neuroscience lab in portugal RA summer
400 hours developmental psych RA during undergrad - ME
160 H + (20 anticipated) for case series pub in plastics (from current ma job)
clinical:
1030 hours derm MA over 3 separate summers - ME
1330 hours + (1500 anticipated) Plastics/reconstructive surgical MA (gap year job) - ME
70 hours + (80 anticipated) surgical shadowing
other:
220 hours non-clinical paid employment at psychologists office
Study abroad semester in Spain
volunteering: my weakest category
35 hours + (200 anticipated) non clinical, reading tutor for library gap year)
30 hours + (100 anticipated) non clinical, emotional support / companionship to elderly (gap year)
60 hours hospital transporter
+ free clinic volunteer (started during gap year after secondaries, updated all schools with details) (accumulated ~40 hours in past 3 months, will crank it up now for reapplication, in the running for a lead volunteer position)
I applied to 35 MD programs. Around 15 schools had higher stats than me that I considered reaches, the rest were all target or below my stats. Every single essay I wrote was proofread at least 10 times with the help of counselors, advisors, and MD mentors. I submitted every secondary within 14 days, some even within 1 week. I received 2 interview invitations in September from target/ lower tier schools (both OOS, one public and one private) and was waitlisted at both. I have been rejected from about 9 schools (most of them high reaches like stanford, ucsf, brown, etc) but radio silence from all others except an I-hold from UCSD in Sept. I did multiple mock interviews and received positive feedback from all. I have been volunteering as much as I can this past 1.5 years in my gap year since applying (but I have also have a full time job and live in SF and cannot afford to volunteer for 10+ hours a week).
I genuinely don't know what I could have done differently except raise my volunteer hours and change my story / angle. PS was about how my immigrant mother's cancer diagnosis when I was young sparked a desire to go into medicine to use science+research to impact patient stories that would otherwise be unheard (using patient anecdotes etc). I thought I did everything right. I poured my heart and soul into my applications. I don't know what to do.
Should I hold out for the Ws? For more interviews? Should I send a second round of update/interest letters even though I did so in Nov (and I have no more updates)? what type of job should I look for the next year? I have started applying for clinical research jobs in preparation for the next cycle, but not sure if this is the right direction. Thank you kindly, any advice is appreciated!
About me: I am a first-generation American from a mixed asian-latinx household. CA resident. I graduated in 2024 from a T20 school with a 3.86 GPA, 3.87 sGPA, neurobiology major. I took the MCAT 2x, first was a 512 (128/128/128/128) and second was 516 (127/130/129/130). I am on 1.5 gap years (now maybe have to take a third)
leadership:
1150 hours as vp of sorority
research:
330 hours biomedical neuroscience lab in portugal RA summer
400 hours developmental psych RA during undergrad - ME
160 H + (20 anticipated) for case series pub in plastics (from current ma job)
clinical:
1030 hours derm MA over 3 separate summers - ME
1330 hours + (1500 anticipated) Plastics/reconstructive surgical MA (gap year job) - ME
70 hours + (80 anticipated) surgical shadowing
other:
220 hours non-clinical paid employment at psychologists office
Study abroad semester in Spain
volunteering: my weakest category
35 hours + (200 anticipated) non clinical, reading tutor for library gap year)
30 hours + (100 anticipated) non clinical, emotional support / companionship to elderly (gap year)
60 hours hospital transporter
+ free clinic volunteer (started during gap year after secondaries, updated all schools with details) (accumulated ~40 hours in past 3 months, will crank it up now for reapplication, in the running for a lead volunteer position)
I applied to 35 MD programs. Around 15 schools had higher stats than me that I considered reaches, the rest were all target or below my stats. Every single essay I wrote was proofread at least 10 times with the help of counselors, advisors, and MD mentors. I submitted every secondary within 14 days, some even within 1 week. I received 2 interview invitations in September from target/ lower tier schools (both OOS, one public and one private) and was waitlisted at both. I have been rejected from about 9 schools (most of them high reaches like stanford, ucsf, brown, etc) but radio silence from all others except an I-hold from UCSD in Sept. I did multiple mock interviews and received positive feedback from all. I have been volunteering as much as I can this past 1.5 years in my gap year since applying (but I have also have a full time job and live in SF and cannot afford to volunteer for 10+ hours a week).
I genuinely don't know what I could have done differently except raise my volunteer hours and change my story / angle. PS was about how my immigrant mother's cancer diagnosis when I was young sparked a desire to go into medicine to use science+research to impact patient stories that would otherwise be unheard (using patient anecdotes etc). I thought I did everything right. I poured my heart and soul into my applications. I don't know what to do.
Should I hold out for the Ws? For more interviews? Should I send a second round of update/interest letters even though I did so in Nov (and I have no more updates)? what type of job should I look for the next year? I have started applying for clinical research jobs in preparation for the next cycle, but not sure if this is the right direction. Thank you kindly, any advice is appreciated!