Early Decision Pharmacy Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP is joining Campbell University in NC. NC is heavily saturated.
It's not even a high quality school. If you are going to spend hundreds of thousands on a pharmacy degree in this market, at least go to a reputable school. If OP is so "smart" they should at the very least be able to get in to a top 15 school.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not even a high quality school. If you are going to spend hundreds of thousands on a pharmacy degree in this market, at least go to a reputable school. If OP is so "smart" they should at the very least be able to get in to a top 15 school.

If you’re talking about me, no need to put quotation marks around smart because I am smart. Very smart. I chose Campbell because of other circumstances, not because of the top ten or whatever

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If you’re talking about me, no need to put quotation marks around smart because I am smart. Very smart. I chose Campbell because of other circumstances, not because of the top ten or whatever

I could easily get into UNC chapel hill which is the #1

Members don't see this ad :)

If you were smart, you wouldn't be entering the pharmacy field at this point in time. Time will tell..

Well, yeah, a top15 school helps for getting into a residency program. What’s more important though is going to a school that offers cheaper tuition in this market. In NC, UNC Chapel Hill is cheaper than Campbell or Wingate

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I will say money was a huge part of why I picked UNC. I came from a different state and the places I was looking at were extremely expensive (40-50k a semester). Part of why I picked UNC was because I knew I could get in-state tuition and I thankfully got scholarships on top of that so that helped lessen the blow.

If you are going to go to pharmacy school I'd weigh the pros and cons and check the price tag. If you're looking at residency name carries a lot of weight so go for the school that will hopefully give you money with a decent name. If you aren't go for the cheapest school.

I'd probably still want to go somewhere that has a decent reputation though. Some of these new name schools are not teaching their students even the fundamentals and that's evident by the crop of students who I'm seeing :lame:. I hate to say that but it's the truth...

Reactions: 1 users
Well, yeah, a top15 school helps for getting into a residency program. What’s more important though is going to a school that offers cheaper tuition in this market. In NC, UNC Chapel Hill is cheaper than Campbell or Wingate
In this job climate, a residency should absolutely be the goal unless you have a sustainable pharmacy business you can take over upon graduation.

You should 100% do that. That school will still set you up well in terms of finding a job.

#1, #2, or #100 ranked school won't mean much if there are hundreds of applicants battling for a rare opened position. Makes it worse knowing that they usually have an internal candidate waiting for it. Not saying its not possible but its not worth the risk to get yourself into 6-figures in debt for. Anyone with half a brain would know

#1, #2, or #100 ranked school won't mean much if there are hundreds of applicants battling for a rare opened position. Makes it worse knowing that they usually have an internal candidate waiting for it. Not saying its not possible but its not worth the risk to get yourself into 6-figures in debt for. Anyone with half a brain would know

And yet here you are I’m assuming in the pharmacy field? So apparently you don’t have “half a brain”

And yet here you are I’m assuming in the pharmacy field? So apparently you don’t have “half a brain”

Yep. comfortably with my full-time job that I got way before the BLS projected -3% growth rate for the next 10 years. I would not have gone into pharmacy knowing a grim outlook on the job market. You have this information presented in front of you along with other pharmacists advising you not to pursue a falling pharmacy profession yet your gullible self got caught into believing whatever these schools lured you with. Don't forget to update us on where you end up after 4 years.

I'm not necessarily arguing with that. However if they are going to be pursing a PharmD, going to a top rated school is 100% going to set them up for a residency better than going to the local diploma mill. It still takes some academic merit to be accepted in to a school like UNC or USC.

I'm not necessarily arguing with that. However if they are going to be pursing a PharmD, going to a top rated school is 100% going to set them up for a residency better than going to the local diploma mill. It still takes some academic merit to be accepted in to a school like UNC or USC.

I agree with you that it does take some academic merit to get into schools like UNC but I also want to remind you that getting into residency does not mean job. I know a handful of residents who did not get jobs after residency and were unemployed for months before landing a part-time position in retail pharmacies. To think they spent a year getting half the salary of a pharmacist as a resident to train in hospital-setting and ultimately fall back into the retail realm.
All I am trying to say is that if I had an obvious sign (BLS project -3% growth) and every pharmacist saying its saturated AF before I got into pharmacy years ago, I would have never pulled out 6-figure loans to pursue this career. I have seniority in my full-time job, good relationship with administration, and paid off my loans so I am just riding this out until I have interest into another field but if all the evidence is out there to warn you pre-pharmers, I just don't get why you would ignore the warnings and pursue this field.

has anyone had any updates in regards to their applications?