This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Swisspers

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted into both Keck Graduate Institute Pharmacy and Western University Pharmacy. Which school should I go to?
(I'm interested in residency and informatics pharmacy.)

Keck Graduate Institute
  • 4 years
  • $80,000 4-year scholarship
  • tuition before scholarship: $197,600
  • newer program, buildings, etc
  • lectures/discussions can be rewatched later on
  • has a Pharmacy Informatics certification program
  • affiliated with Claremont colleges (access to their facilities)
  • smaller class size (25-50)
Western U
  • 3.5 years
  • $50,000 3.5-year scholarship
  • tuition before scholarship: $222,476
  • higher reputation/ranking
  • higher boards passing rate (NAPLEX/CPJE)
  • more established, more network
  • bigger class size (65-100)
When considering the scholarships, KGI is much cheaper by at least $55k (not counting the future interests and fees for loans). However, WesternU has a better reputation and has been around longer. Which school should I pick? Should I weigh in costs over reputation?
 
If you’re interested in informatics then get a degree in informatics and skip pharmacy school. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail with $200k+ in student loans. Pharmacy school is not worth it.