Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Early Decision Plan

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by kmjannie, Apr 13, 2004.

1. kmjannie

kmjannie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am thinking about applying Early Decision to my state school. I am a reapplicant, and I have heard that Early Decision is only for very competitive students. The thing is, I know that I will go to my state school if accepted there, and if you are accepted Early Decision, you must go to that school. So, it makes sense from that standpoint. My graduate GPA is pretty good - 3.88, and my MCAT is 30. But, if I am not accepted Early Decision, does it hurt my application or slow down the process of getting accepted "the normal way" (rolling admissions) thereafter? I just want to make this next year off as stress-less as possible (well, I do have a wedding to plan...sigh) and there is no way better than knowing if I am in by October 15th. Any advice? Thanks all.

Cheers.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    This question is really better answered by an admissions officer at the school in question. The rules vary significantly from school-to-school, so any advice dispensed here would be hearsay and no more applicable (not knowing which state school) than would be flipping a coin.

Good luck!

- H

4. kmjannie

kmjannie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

EDP is for those who want to be accepted at a certain school, but it is very difficult to be admitted through EDP. So, in the
    eyes of the admissions committee, it is for the highly qualified applicants with respect to gpa and mcat, usually 3.8 total GPA
    and all 10's on the mcat.
    If you did apply EDP and was not accepted EDP, you may apply to other schools as well as be considered in the rolling phase
    and would not in any way put you at a disadvantage.
    No admissions decisions are made other than EDP prior to October 15--the date that all medical schools agree to wait for to
    accept candidates. We typically interview will not interview for general until around Oct. 1.

Admissions Process Coordinator
    Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
    University of Iowa
    100 MAB
    Iowa City, IA 52242-1101

5. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The decision really is whether or not you want to risk a late app for a shot at your top choice. Thats why EDP really filters out weak applicants and people that arent serious. You should ask them what your chances are. If youre unsure, I'd go the normal route. Oct 15th is really late to start applying.