Withdraw application, pre-decision letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longhorn97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tough call.

That SMP C could really hurt your chances. The fact that your SMP and undergraduate GPAs are essentially the same at this point does not really bode well. I don't think it's a coffin, but it will likely be viewed as a detractor or, at best, neutral, at most places.

However, I have trouble recommending that you should agree to go somewhere that you know you are not happy. Some people will say that any acceptance is a good acceptance, but I'm not a part of that crowd. If you can't be happy there, I deign to think that you will excel there. If you've visited and done your due diligence with researching a little more post-interview and you're sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that you wouldn't be happy there, I would personally withdraw my application.

Before you do though, recognize that there is a possibility, however slim, that it's signing your own death warrant. I don't personally think the SMP C screws you, or if that new DO school would have even accepted you, but make sure you're okay with always wondering "what if" before you withdraw that application.

Reactions: 1 user
Current SMP student here, received 2 IIs (1 MD, 1 DO) this cycle. I attended an interview for a brand new DO school and realized that I would not be happy in the program at all. I am considering withdrawing my application from the DO school because I would rather reapply with my SMP grades in the new cycle than have this school be my single acceptance and have to attend this school.
However, I am in a slight predicament. During my SMP, I made a C in a biochem course (due to poor study habits), but have since made As in the rest of my courses. This has led my gradGPA to be 3.36 and I am hoping to continue the upward trend in the spring semester. Should I keep my application in and just be happy that a school would accept me? Or try my chances next cycle?

cUGPA: 3.5
cSGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 514
graduateGPA: 3.36 ***
Beggars can't be choosy. You'd get wait listed and then rejected at my school.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your SMP grades being anything lower than close to a 4.0 does not inspire confidence. Your SMP GPA would only hurt you, and I'm almost certain you'd have a worse cycle reapplying than you did this cycle. It's not choosing to withdraw and potentially reapplying, it's choosing to withdraw and potentially not go in to medical school at all.

Reactions: 1 users
If I am able to bring it up to a 3.68 (assuming all A's in this current semester), would this still be risky? One of my advisors said that I can retake the class, but it won't affect my transcript's GPA, but I assume it would affect AMCAS>

I feel like I'm in the same SMP as you.

How risky something is also depends on your personal level of risk tolerance.

If you can pull off all As this semester, which seems pretty doable, your SMP GPA would be decent, you have a case for improving after initial setback (although most people here would argue that an SMP is high risk high reward and isn't the time for learning how to study), our associated DO school would interview you at least (biochem was sort of a first cut so that's probably why you didn't get a call despite the rest being As but all As in anatomy/physio/pharm could get you back in it), your mcat is good so maybe you'd get some more love from in state md and oos DO (but like Goro said they could also just not since the applicant pool is full of people who just straight 4.0 their SMP). So you could bet on yourself and it could work out, or it may not. If you do decide to reapply you have to make sure you apply as far and wide as you can to increase your odds and mitigate those risks

Or, you take the guaranteed payoff. A bit of this also depends on if you'd like to specialize or not and what you feel your chances are at achieving those goals at the school you're accepted at. If you aren't planning to do some super competitive specialty then all the risks you'd have to take by reapplying seem unnecessary. If you have something very specific and time isnt an issue for you, then taking risks may make sense.

Additional things to consider is your position as a reapplicant. If this was your first time applying then ya I can see it being doable. If this was your second time then it seems like a very bad move to leave an acceptance and be a 3x applicant.

Maybe PM Goro on this thoughts of the school in question. Sure there's always additional risk in going to a new and unestablished school but maybe your fears are greater than it needs to be. Or maybe less. Either way, that also impacts the assessment of the situation. I have no idea how to gauge a new school.

If I am able to bring it up to a 3.68 (assuming all A's in this current semester), would this still be risky? One of my advisors said that I can retake the class, but it won't affect my transcript's GPA, but I assume it would affect AMCAS>

Retaking classes in an SMP arguably looks equally as bad as doing poorly in an SMP. No medical school wants a student that will do poorly in (purportedly) medical school level classes, which most SMPs emulate.

There is no way to frame it other than that reapplying with your current stats will probably not be ideal. It depends on what school you're considering withdrawing from - there are limited cases where withdrawing and applying again may be a better idea, but they're very limited (especially given your SMP performance).

@Goro might have more advice that could be specific to the school you're considering withdrawing from.

Current SMP student here, received 2 IIs (1 MD, 1 DO) this cycle. I attended an interview for a brand new DO school and realized that I would not be happy in the program at all. I am considering withdrawing my application from the DO school because I would rather reapply with my SMP grades in the new cycle than have this school be my single acceptance and have to attend this school.
However, I am in a slight predicament. During my SMP, I made a C in a biochem course (due to poor study habits), but have since made As in the rest of my courses. This has led my gradGPA to be 3.36 and I am hoping to continue the upward trend in the spring semester. Should I keep my application in and just be happy that a school would accept me? Or try my chances next cycle?

cUGPA: 3.5
cSGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 514
graduateGPA: 3.36 ***
If you foresee yourself unhappy at the DO program, then yes withdraw your application.

But keep in mind that at least at my school, we would reject you for the C . You are supposed to Ace everything in a special master's program, and in addition, getting a C is a major risk factor for you struggling in medical school.

Gotta take the acceptance, I think. If you reapply, there is probably >50% chance that this exact time next year you will be in the same spot as you are now but without an acceptance and trying to craft 3rd application cycle. OR if you take the acceptance, there is a 100% chance that this time next year you will be a medical student half way through your first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.