Early Decision Program for High Stat Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charactercomic2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen some talk about some schools having an early decision program. While this does create sort of a hassle, as you are unable to apply to other schools until October if rejected, I was wondering what would the advantage be if you are a higher stat applicant doing this? Hypothetically, if you're a 3.8+ cGPA and 518+ MCAT student, but only want to apply to your state school, would this be a more feasible (and significantly less expensive) route compared to the shotgun approach? Was hoping to hear any success stories and what not, but I couldn't find any even on old forums.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen some talk about some schools having an early decision program. While this does create sort of a hassle, as you are unable to apply to other schools until October if rejected, I was wondering what would the advantage be if you are a higher stat applicant doing this? Hypothetically, if you're a 3.8+ cGPA and 518+ MCAT student, but only want to apply to your state school, would this be a more feasible (and significantly less expensive) route compared to the shotgun approach? Was hoping to hear any success stories and what not, but I couldn't find any even on old forums.
It's just not done that often. That's why you are not finding a ton of information. For most people, the possibility of having what would otherwise be a successful cycle be destroyed just to have an enhanced chance to be admitted to a single school is just not worth it. It is best used by someone who is tied to an area and cannot apply widely in any event.

The only way to make what you want to do work would be to reach out to the schools you are considering and try to get a realistic assessment of your likelihood of success before going forward. If you are only going to apply to one school anyway, and be happy not becoming a doctor if they don't accept you, then ED is tailor made for you. Otherwise, not so much!! With a 3.8+/518+, you will be a very competitive applicant at lots of schools, depending on what the rest of your application looks like. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think the issue here is that EDP is very risky. If you have great stats and a strong application, you run the risk of wasting an application cycle if you apply via EDP and don't get accepted to that one school. Hence why I have perceived EDP as the route taken by the comparatively less competitive applicants whose top choice is the EDP school.

Reactions: 2 users