Early Decision - PT prereqs still in process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Second*Adulthood*Rocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm applying for early decision at Samuel Merritt in CA. I have some prereqs still in process (finishing them all up by end of fall term). It is the first year Samuel Merritt is offering 'early decision,' so since it is a new process the admission counselor wasn't able to tell me if that will be a deal breaker for early decision. At Samuel Merritt there isn't anything documented that says all prereqs must be completed at the time of application for early decision. So I'm going for it (but still ready to apply to other schools during this same application cycle if I'm not accepted).

Just curious if anyone from other areas/schools was offered acceptance during early decision when their prereqs were still in process.

No matter what, I still believe it is a great strategy to apply for early decision since I want SMU to know they are my top choice! I can always apply again during the regular timeline in this same application cycle if I'm not accepted.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was offered acceptance during early decision even though I hadn’t finished the math prereq my school required. I didn’t actually enroll in that prereq class until like a month after I received my accpetance letter.
I have a close friend who was accepted to another program via early decision while in the process of taking Chem II and Physics II.
Not familiar with SMU admissions but I highly doubt having prereqs still in process will be a deal breaker for your application. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I was offered acceptance during early decision even though I hadn’t finished the math prereq my school required. I didn’t actually enroll in that prereq class until like a month after I received my accpetance letter.
I have a close friend who was accepted to another program via early decision while in the process of taking Chem II and Physics II.
Not familiar with SMU admissions but I highly doubt having prereqs still in process will be a deal breaker for your application. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience Tnpt12. That is nice to know! I have Chem II and Physics II in process currently so I am in the same boat as your friend. Thanks again for sharing! It is nice to have this forum to share experiences and offer support/help to each other as we go through the process.

Good luck @Second*Adulthood*Rocks, I also worked at the VA (San Fran). I applied ED to Duke and I didn't have all of my pre-regs. I would say that it looks better to be completely done, but it can't hurt to apply.

Reactions: 1 user