early graduation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrsjav

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I'm a second-year thinking about graduating early. I'm feeling financial pressure. This would mean dumping a second major, which I'm fine with (I don't need to take a class to learn a subject) but the adcoms might not be. I think I will have an average number of extra currics, so really my main question is: how many successful applicants do not have double majors / dual degrees?

I'll still be a student in grad/med school, so seemingly life can't change much, yet every grad student I talk to says "enjoy your college years." Come on, college isn't that fun. College classes are often just as boring as high school classes, yet college friends are not as cool as high school ones. College feels like a day job feels to an artist, it's a cushion that I'm building for myself in case I don't accomplish something truly significant. I think I want to get on to grad school before I become completely disillusioned.

--Chris

Members don't see this ad.

chrsjav said:
Dear SDN,

I'm a second-year thinking about graduating early. I'm feeling financial pressure. This would mean dumping a second major, which I'm fine with (I don't need to take a class to learn a subject) but the adcoms might not be. I think I will have an average number of extra currics, so really my main question is: how many successful applicants do not have double majors / dual degrees?

I'll still be a student in grad/med school, so seemingly life can't change much, yet every grad student I talk to says "enjoy your college years." Come on, college isn't that fun. College classes are often just as boring as high school classes, yet college friends are not as cool as high school ones. College feels like a day job feels to an artist, it's a cushion that I'm building for myself in case I don't accomplish something truly significant. I think I want to get on to grad school before I become completely disillusioned.

--Chris

My experience was exactly the opposite, but that's beside the point.

Anyways, adcoms really don't care about double majors. Those who double major in, say, theatre and chemistry, have something interesting to talk about in interviews, but not double majoring isn't going to hurt you.

If you are feeling financial pressure, by all means graduate early. Schools do understand that money plays a role in decisions.

I am graduating in three years and heading to medical school at ohio state this fall.... I had to drop my minor as well, but I attend a rather expensive private college and financially it is going to be so much better. Then at my interviews I was really surprised to hear so many positive comments about graduating early! You show you can handle a heavy course load .... even better my interviewers liked that I studied independently for tests for college credit instead of taking the course. Though my friends thought (prob still think) that i am crazy, it has worked out wonderfully for me and I am so glad that I did it. As long as you fit in the ECs and other experiences into 3 years .... you should be golden. Good Luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
graduate as early as you can if you are not having fun!. I did and i have multiple acceptances and turning down interviews at this point. Believe me all they care about is your GPA, MCAT and EC'S and of course interview well, I actually brought this up myself in two of my interviews that were going well becuase we had talked about this on sdn, both said no biggie

Wow, thanks everyone for your advice. Now the only issue left is taking the MCAT on time. Since next fall begins my senior year, the best time to take the MCAT is what, this April (since I've already missed August)? I haven't prepared at all so is it possible/better to take it August of my senior year?

Regards,
Chris

its pretty late to start studying for april, probably get some more course experience, study hardcore over summer and august it. taking it in august has a few implications in admissions, perhaps do a search or look through the mcat forum. but if one is graduating early schools should be lenient on taking august mcat