early LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm still a couple years away from applying, but just completed a very positive vet experience, should I ask the vet right away for a rec. letter? And if so, where does he/she send the letter? Surely I can't keep it myself! Does he/she need guidelines on what to write? Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

youthman said:
If I'm still a couple years away from applying, but just completed a very positive vet experience, should I ask the vet right away for a rec. letter? And if so, where does he/she send the letter? Surely I can't keep it myself! Does he/she need guidelines on what to write? Thanks for any feedback!

Basically the best way to do it is through Electronic letter of recommendation. Basically The year you decide to apply, VMCAS willopen its application in June. You hop on immediately give them his email address, and he can do the entire thing online.

If you're not going to have much contact with that person anymore, than getting a letter now would be a good idea. I'm not sure about your school (if you are in school), but at my school, the career center has a letter service. They basically will hold letters for you and when the time comes that you need to mail them out, they will do that for you.

but its a good idea to ask for a letter before they forget you. It'll be a better letter in my opinion. But on the other side, you could wait, stay in contact with the person, and then update them just before you apply with your resume and what not.

hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to what zufuss said, official letters, including those on the eLOR system, also incorporate a 1-5 rating system on topics like applicant maturity, which is not included with standard letters. While, it is never a bad idea to have a strong letter of recommendation, you will have to get them again when you apply to vet school.

OK so just to clarify since there seems to be 2 different views - it's better to have the letter done electronically through VMCAS, but the traditional form is also acceptable?

youthman said:
OK so just to clarify since there seems to be 2 different views - it's better to have the letter done electronically through VMCAS, but the traditional form is also acceptable?

I think people are saying that if you want to use this letter as your main Vet Rec letter, you're going to need to do it through VMCAS electronically, because there is a check sheet type form that is filled out. Also you will need a VMCAS ID to use a paper LOR form. However, if you are going to lose contact with this Vet, you might want to get the letter now and have it sent to career services, so you don't lose the letter altogether. You could maybe use this as an additional letter in support of your application, but wouldn't be able to use this a main Rec.
You should really take a look through VMCAS http://aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm and at the schools' requirements. They will explain LOR policies, so you can make the best decision for your situation. If I had done this in adavance before I applied, I could have saved myself lots of grief :oops: .

Good Luck!

You could get a copy of this year's LOR form and have them fill it out and write the letter now. The check sheet everyone is referring to is with this paper form! Then ask them if you (or they) can hold onto it (they could sign and seal it) and the vet can copy it either electronically or on the new paper form when you go to apply, that way you get their honest evaluation without having to worry about them forgetting you.

Side note... schools don't look down at paper forms of LORs, I think VMCAS just prefers it that way cuz its easier for them. Two of my LORs (both from vets) through VMCAS and two for the Tufts application were paper form and I did ok ;)

thanks for the clarification guys! I have one vet that I know well enough so no worries there, but for the other one they have so many volunteers per quarter there's no way they could truly remember my performance years later. For that I will do what Deanna suggested.

PAThbrd said:
Side note... schools don't look down at paper forms of LORs, I think VMCAS just prefers it that way cuz its easier for them. Two of my LORs (both from vets) through VMCAS and two for the Tufts application were paper form and I did ok ;)

lol....when I started applying I knew I'd have to do paper-based b/c most of my vets....who are excellent in all ways that matter...are a little "behind the technology curve"....I remember imagining the scenario "Dr. X, you just have go to this web addy, sign in here, click here and type here, and check this box, then confirm here" He'd have laughed my butt out of the office.

HorseyVet said:
lol....when I started applying I knew I'd have to do paper-based b/c most of my vets....who are excellent in all ways that matter...are a little "behind the technology curve"....I remember imagining the scenario "Dr. X, you just have go to this web addy, sign in here, click here and type here, and check this box, then confirm here" He'd have laughed my butt out of the office.

lol, yup, the small animal vet i worked for kept vaccination records on 3X5 cards in massive drawers!! definately not up to speed on the whole computerization thing :laugh:

PAThbrd said:
You could get a copy of this year's LOR form and have them fill it out and write the letter now.

I guess the thing I would be concerned about is if an admissions committee would look at a "dated" letter and question why you didn't choose something more current. Any time I've written LORs (employment, scholarship, awards, that sort of thing) for people I've always stated when I worked with that student. (BTW, this is something that made me feel reeeeally OLD when I did it for the first time, LOL!) All of my LORs this year included a 'timeline' of when my recommenders (is that a word?) began working with me but I wasn't worried since I'm still working with all of the people I chose.

UKYWildcat said:
All of my LORs this year included a 'timeline' of when my recommenders (is that a word?) began working with me but I wasn't worried since I'm still working with all of the people I chose.

I think they are "recommendee's" ....as in mentor/mentee

What is wrong with a dated later, if you worked with that vet years ago? I would think that it shows the letter was written when their memory of you was the freshest. It also shows you didn't wait until the last minute to get all your stuff ready.

youthman said:
What is wrong with a dated later, if you worked with that vet years ago? I would think that it shows the letter was written when their memory of you was the freshest. It also shows you didn't wait until the last minute to get all your stuff ready.

I guess there isn't anything wrong, per se with a letter from now but my point was that if you are a few years from applying and one of your letters is dated now, would an admissions committee look at it and want to know what you've done in the time since then and why you don't have more current experience? A lot can change about you as a person and as a future professional over the next couple of years when you are applying to school.

Oh I see what you're saying :) Definitely I agree you can't just send in old ones but old ones + new ones is better than just new ones.

Also if you plan on applying to Cornell, They want letters to EVERY place you list as experience.