Early match

Started by student-2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

student-2

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone-
Just out of curiositiy, does anyone know why otolaryngology isn't an early match as opposed to other sub-specialties? I am just trying to understand the logic of the system.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
Hi everyone-
Just out of curiositiy, does anyone know why otolaryngology isn't an early match as opposed to other sub-specialties? I am just trying to understand the logic of the system.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks


It only stopped being an early match in the last couple of years. It used to match in Jan through the SF match like neurosurg and the other subspecialties. There were a lot of politics that went into the switch, but one of the bigger issues was unhappiness with the SF match program.
 
Do you guys feel like this change has made the match more difficult?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember back in the good ol' days, after I had matched in January....

...It was a cool day in March. I was in Italy, Cinque Terre I believe, sipping a nice Syrah, while the rest of my med school classmates were undergoing the regular match. As I thought of them, a single tear rolled down my cheek. Poor saps.

Anyway, I was so happy NOT to be in the regular match. All it does is delay the inevitable.