Early tenure or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with my department chair recently to discuss going up for early tenure this August or waiting for my mandatory tenure year a year later. I’m at a public R1 (newly elevated from an R2) without a psych PhD program (large masters program, though). According to my department head, my dossier is strong, but of course, she can’t guarantee anything and says that when to go up is up to me, and that she’ll support me either way. My third year review feedback from the Dean was positive (we only get Dean feedback for third year and tenure reviews).

Pros/cons of going up early or waiting? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also went up "early", although they try not to use that language here. I think they try and make it wizard-like, "There is no early tenure, you go up when the time is right." I'm at a SLAC and very happy with the decision.

Pros: security, relief, $$, prestige?
Cons: a blow to ego if denied? as long as you can apply again during the mandatory year (that is the case here)

Reactions: 2 users
I also went up "early", although they try not to use that language here. I think they try and make it wizard-like, "There is no early tenure, you go up when the time is right." I'm at a SLAC and very happy with the decision.

Pros: security, relief, $$, prestige?
Cons: a blow to ego if denied? as long as you can apply again during the mandatory year (that is the case here)
Thanks. No option to apply again if denied, though we can withdraw and apply again in our mandatory year after the department review if that doesn’t seem favorable.

Members don't see this ad :)
what does this mean? Raise? Can you work less after this? Do you really have to submit some kind of formal “presentation” to ask or justify all of these things after years of working there? Don’t they have all this in an employment/HR record? Seems like lots of work to tell them you have done lots of work?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Good questions. It's complicated. Here are some places to start:

Can you go up for associate but delay applying for tenure? Very commonplace in med schools and I know some universities offer this option too. I'm intending to go up for associate as soon as possible but delay tenure as long as possible. I'm in a med school environment though, where tenure doesn't have quite the same meaning.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply early AND see if you can get a competing offer somewhere else that comes with tenure.