Switching research areas post-tenure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be going up for tenure in a year or two (contemplating an early tenure application but will be meeting with may department head at the end of this month for feedback). My primary focus in research up to this point has been in mental health disparities and the intersection of mental health and SES, but I've had a long-standing interest in eating disorders that I never pursued because my undergrad didn't have any faculty who studied them, and they tend to be a more competitive area of interest when applying for PhD programs, especially when you don't have any prior research experience with them. I'm a bit burned out on/tired of doing the macro/systems level research that my current focus requires, and I'm considering making a sharp turn to ED research post-tenure, as a pre-tenure shift seems hard to explain and potentially risky. Does anyone have any experience on making a sharp research shift post-grad school or know anyone who has? My department doesn't have a PhD program, and my current master's students should be graduated in two years, so it would be unlikely to impact students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't advise you on how to make the shift, but broadly think the concept of one sticking with one research focus forever is outdated and clearly doesn't work for everyone. I do think you might be able to lateral into this without it being a sharp shift, should you desire a softer approach. There are disparities in who seeks eating disorder treatment and how accessible available treatments are. If that angle interests you it might also get you a foot in the door with more seasoned eating disorder researchers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at how you are being paid because that will likely dictate if the administration cares or not. If you shift research areas, how will that impact your ability to secure funding? How much of your compensation comes directly from grant funding of your current research? How else do you contribute....teaching load? Admin responsibilities? Are you willing to teach more if you don't secure enough research funding a couple of cycles from now?

Just do it bro - no one expects you to study the same stuff for life. If you have tenure - it'll take them "ten years to fire you and even then, they probably won't be able to" as my dad used to say.

Also - there is a saying that innovation in science is driven by the young because when you start out, you focus on discover/innovation. When you get older and more expert, then you start to stagnate because your focus turns way from expansion of knowledge to defending yourself and your findings, entrenching you.