Early thoughts on studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bowchickawowwow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm really looking forward to studying abroad during college.

I Planned my schedule with my Pre-Health Advisor, and it looks as if I'll have only 2 classes to take during the second semester of my senior year, both of which are humanities classes than can be taken in the college I hope to study abroad in.

My question is, will a Pre-Med, who probably applied the June of Junior Year, be terribly busy during the second semester of senior year?

I don't really know when acceptances/rejections come out and when interviews happen and all that.

I appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you would still be interviewing then. I am curious what other people have to say about best time to study abroad. On a side note, have you considered a short term program? I know my school offers "J-terms" or 2 week long courses abroad. For example there is an evolution course that is going to Costa Rica (sp?):love:

yeah that's not going to work out very well.

there's absolutely no reason that you can't go abroad sophomore or junior year. just push those science electives to senior year, you don't need them for the MCAT, I promise :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that's not going to work out very well.

there's absolutely no reason that you can't go abroad sophomore or junior year. just push those science electives to senior year, you don't need them for the MCAT, I promise :)

So, when do applicants generally finish their cycle? I've heard of people applying and getting accepted somewhere around january or february. I'd apply early, as early as possible, probably around June or July if it's open by then.

Generally, when do you know where you're going (If you're going)?

People are still finding out right now if they are being accepted off of waitlists o_O It could happen where your cycle doesn't end until the first day of classes if you stay on a waitlist!

Hey Guys, I'm really looking forward to studying abroad during college.

I Planned my schedule with my Pre-Health Advisor, and it looks as if I'll have only 2 classes to take during the second semester of my senior year, both of which are humanities classes than can be taken in the college I hope to study abroad in.

My question is, will a Pre-Med, who probably applied the June of Junior Year, be terribly busy during the second semester of senior year?

I don't really know when acceptances/rejections come out and when interviews happen and all that.

I appreciate the advice!

It really depends on the study abroad program. I am studying abroad in New Zealand right now, and the semester didn't start until February 21st. I was fortunate enough to get all of my interviews done pretty early. My latest was in the beginning of January.

It just depends if you're willing to sacrifice the chance to interview at a school for the experience to study abroad. I was a little more willing to because I already got an acceptance pretty early on.

Study abroad before you apply. Either Sophomore or Junior year.

I actually decided to put off applying for a year so I could study abroad. Totally worth it.

So, when do applicants generally finish their cycle? I've heard of people applying and getting accepted somewhere around january or february. I'd apply early, as early as possible, probably around June or July if it's open by then.

Generally, when do you know where you're going (If you're going)?

Some people find out in the fall of their application cycle. Some people who will start med school this fall, still don't know if/where they're going.

If you want to spend a semester abroad, your med school application year is not the best time to do it. Look into alternatives people have mentioned like May, June, and July terms. It is possible to spend 2 months or more abroad without disrupting the academic year or your med school application cycle.

ETA: Another option is to study abroad senior year, apply after graduation and take a year off between undergrad and med school:

Study abroad before you apply. Either Sophomore or Junior year.

I actually decided to put off applying for a year so I could study abroad. Totally worth it.

I studied abroad during the summer after my sophomore year. It was awesome (go to Spain if possible). One thing....be wary of studying abroad during an actual semester (Spring or Fall) because you can really miss a lot. My fiance spent one fall semester abroad and she felt like she missed out on a lot. She said it took her a while to get back into sync with her friends, but obviously she still had a great time.

Just be careful....you might find a really great group of friends and figure out that you don't want to spend the last semester of your college career away from them.

Definitely do it before junior. If you want to go to med school, it's just easier that way.

I studied abroad during the summer after my sophomore year. It was awesome (go to Spain if possible). One thing....be wary of studying abroad during an actual semester (Spring or Fall) because you can really miss a lot. My fiance spent one fall semester abroad and she felt like she missed out on a lot. She said it took her a while to get back into sync with her friends, but obviously she still had a great time.

Just be careful....you might find a really great group of friends and figure out that you don't want to spend the last semester of your college career away from them.

Definitely do it before junior. If you want to go to med school, it's just easier that way.

Just thought I'd chime in and agree. This is definitely true, at least for me. I have pretty much missed the entire planning of my brother's wedding. I also have spent my last few months with no responsibilities as far away from my girlfriend as one can get. haha. It actually is kind of cool to see how your circle of friends go on without you around, though.

However, I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. They say that not studying abroad is one of the biggest regrets of college graduates.

Hey, I went abroad the summer after my freshman year (to Florence!!) and many of my pre-med friends went the summer after their sophomore years. I had no problem fitting it into my pre-health schedule and just got a few humanities requirements out of the way. Go earlier than later if you can!!