Early v. late interview at school with rolling admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medic408

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an invitation to interview at Hofstra, which has a rolling admissions process. The admissions office also told me that interviewing later in the cycle (specifically November) confers no disadvantage over interviewing earlier in the cycle. According to last year's Hofstra thread, acceptances went out as early as 11/17. Though it is more convenient for me to interview in November, I want to schedule an interview earlier than this if it will be advantageous. Can anyone explain the admissions office's statement that interviewing in November would NOT be disadvantageous? I don't see how this makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools offer acceptances in waves. I think my state school offers acceptances in November, March, and May perhaps? So interviewing at anytime before that November date puts you in the running for each acceptance decision. Interviewing after that date only puts you in the running for the last 2 acceptance dates. Not sure if this is the case with your school or not.

Rolling admissions have no effect on the decision! It does have an effect on when you are informed of the decision, though.

The only potential effect of interview timing is that a very late interview ( e.g. late March) in a cycle with more acceptances than usual, might result in a waitlist decision until after traffic day. This would be true for either rolling or delayed information schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rolling admissions have no effect on the decision! It does have an effect on when you are informed of the decision, though.

The only potential effect of interview timing is that a very late interview ( e.g. late March) in a cycle with more acceptances than usual might result in a waitlist decision until after traffic day.

Can you explain this further? I'm confused as to how rolling admissions would have no effect on the decision. If I interview AFTER students have already been accepted, am I not then competing for fewer seats? Thanks for the help.

Can you explain this further? I'm confused as to how rolling admissions would have no effect on the decision. If I interview AFTER students have already been accepted, am I not then competing for fewer seats? Thanks for the help.
The only difference between rolling and non-rolling is when they let you know the decision!
Seats are being filled in either case well into Spring. Schools calculate the number of interviews need to fill the class and offer that number of interviews over time as applications are evaluated. There are still plenty of acceptances available well into the last interview dates.

The place where timing is potentially a factor is in the issuance of interviews. If a sufficient number of interviews have been granted by mid October and they don't see your application until November, you will have much less chance. At that point interviews may be issued to fill no shows or withdrawals, but offers can slow considerably.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview earlier if you can, but just do your best otherwise. Not everyone in the earlier interview group will get an acceptance and not everyone in the later interview groups will be left out.

I interviewed at Hofstra last January and got accepted shortly after, which is months later than even your November date.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So basically, you're competing for an interview slot and not for a seat?