early v. late operative experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrappy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a continuation of discussion from ROL 2006 by alexrusso and robotsonic.

what do you think about early v. late (i.e. "top heavy") operative experiences in academic programs? now, i know we've all been told that it doesn't really matter, that both types produce excellent surgeons, and usually you can see that graduating chiefs everywhere are pretty facile.

anyway, i asked one of my interviewers who was from a less top heavy program whether she thought it made a difference, and she said it had. when she started her fellowship she could see that she was a lot more comfortable in the OR and was at quite an advantage.

i don't want to include community programs in this debate because the argument always devolves to something like "community surgeons don't have to deal with complicated patients," or "community surgeons deal with hernias all day," etc.

top heavy programs are neither top nor heavy: discuss. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

scrappy said:
a continuation of discussion from ROL 2006 by alexrusso and robotsonic.

what do you think about early v. late (i.e. "top heavy") operative experiences in academic programs? now, i know we've all been told that it doesn't really matter, that both types produce excellent surgeons, and usually you can see that graduating chiefs everywhere are pretty facile.

anyway, i asked one of my interviewers who was from a less top heavy program whether she thought it made a difference, and she said it had. when she started her fellowship she could see that she was a lot more comfortable in the OR and was quite an advantage.

i don't want to include community programs in this debate because the argument always devolves to something like "community surgeons don't have to deal with complicated patients," or "community surgeons deal with hernias all day," etc.

top heavy programs are neither top nor heavy: discuss. :rolleyes:

**Disclaimer--In the following long-winded reply, I am not trying to piss off any non-surgery residents/applicants or suggest that they aren't as intelligent or skilled in treating sick patients. Its just that where I come from, the sickest patients in the hospital will 9/10 times be managed by the surgical team...this probably isn't universal.

I battled with the same issue posed by Scrappy myself as evidenced in my thread "UAB, Vandy, Louisville" (thanks for the posts and pm's by the way, they were helpful right up to the minute before list certification!).

Coming from UT Memphis where there is an almost scary amount of autonomy and relatively early operative exposure, I originally set out to find the best academic program with the same type of experience. Some of the programs I really thought I'd like...and tried hard to like either due to reputation or research/fellowship opportunities, I came away wondering if I'd really be happy, since many of the residents commented on how "top heavy" the program was and that they were okay with not seeing the OR till PGY-III (Emory for example).

When I was making my decision, it came down to a program like Louisville, notorious for excellent operative experience, even interns performing "upper-level cases", but less well endowed from a research standpoint versus UAB, one of the research meccas, but supposedly with a more "Halstedian" approach to operating. I knew graduating from Louisville I'd be one of the best technically trained surgeons, from what I'd heard. But graduating from UAB, I'd have a launching pad into any number of fellowship spots, while also hopefully being trained well.

In the end, I'd like to think it really wouldn't matter that much where I trained. If attendings/residents alike have the same vision, which is to teach/learn general surgery, while holding the patient's best interest as the utmost priority, then everyone would win, whether at Cornell, UAB, Louisville, or BFE. Everyone (even myself) gets so caught up in the numbers game and the little ins and outs of trying to get into what he or she feels is the "best" program for surgical training (whatever details they hold as most important) that we sometimes lose sight of whats really important...that the patient is getting the best possible treatment, no matter what.

Residents have to learn to operate and have to be cut loose to make appropriate surgical decisions without an attending watching over their every move. At the same time, you can't expect an intern to step in and knock out their first whipple and suggest that this has the patient's best interest in mind. Even at the most "top heavy" programs, I'd imagine there are still cases that interns will, at some time or another, get to step in, grab the scalpel, and cut like hell.

Just remember, that being a surgeon gives you the opportunity to do something outside of the OR that the other docs can't...take care of the sickest patients in the hospital. This in itself is one of the biggest aspects that led me into general surgery. The fact that anytime a really sick "medical" patient comes in, you can likely count on the Medicine team consulting the surgeon for advice...Be forewarned, if you come to UT Memphis for general surgery and you even consider consulting Medicine for a "medicine" issue on your surgical patient, you will catch hell. The surgeon is to manage the toughest medical patients as well as have the unique ability to operate...the best of both worlds. This is why during interviews you asked the question "do surgeons manage your ICU's in a closed environment?"

As an intern or even PGY-II in the ICU, you may not be in the OR cutting, but you can certainly do a great service to your current and future patients by making the best of your "non-OR" years by mastering bedside procedures and critical care issues. Last time I checked, a subclavian stick for central line placement wasn't the most benign thing you could do to a patient. Yet, as surgery residents, we will do so many of them, they will become second nature. Remember to respect the invasiveness of every single procedure you perform on your patients, because the minute you don't, something bad will happen. In the end, its the patients that suffer.

WARNING: LONG RAMBLE....

for the sake of identifiability, i have not listed the names of the programs here. if you wanna know, PM me.....

i think there are gradation of top-heavy and bottom-heavy programs. and there are also both internal and external perceptions of operative experience.

i did one away elective at a program that, from the perspective of the interns, was top-heavy, but compared to other programs where i'd done away electives, was not top-heavy at all. these interns were operating a TON. on pretty good cases. also with a lot of autonomy. but because they weren't doing whipples as interns they felt it was top-heavy. so that's an example where the residents didn't know how good they had it. on the flip-side, i felt that since they had such autonomy from such an early stage, they were never specifically taught how to do things and they just muddled through it until they figured it out. this aspect of the autonomy i actually thought was a downside. so the chiefs coming out, while experienced, were not as solid as other chiefs i had worked with at other places. heavy on experience, lighter on the how and why.

another program i went to is also considered top-heavy, and i agree that the lack of early operative experience had a detrimental effect on resident training experience. these residents did not operate, so when they did later, they weren't great.

and finally spent time at another top-heavy program where the residents operate a lot, but obviously the responsibility and complexity of cases is graded and increases over time. but in this programs the skill and maturity of the chiefs was really astounding. and i felt as though these people could operate. on their own. by chiefdom they were running the OR with assistance rather than direction from the attending.

not sure if these statements are clear. i guess what i'm saying is that except in a few obvious cases, perception of top-heavy and bottom-heavy are somewhat subjective. obviously there are the louisvilles. and there are the emorys. but in between, i think for me what was important was how mature and developed and autonomous i felt the chiefs were. i ranked mostly top heavy programs because as my moniker states, i am a geek and love academia. so that aspect of the program and that type of mentality was important to me. but i also am coming to residency to learn to operate. i already know how to think. it is very important to me to walk away with good hands.

so i say:
- see how mature/independent the chiefs are
- make sure you get in the OR a lot from the start (even if the cases are breasts and hernias rather than carotids or whipples intern year)
- learn to perfect your skills at every stage so you're ready for the bigger cases
- find a place where the spirit of the place fits with you (i found many great places that i liked in concept but knew i wouldn't fit in as well. and many others i felt i would love and suit very well)

sounds lame, but it's up to us a little to get out of this what we want. i agree if you're never in the OR you can't learn. but if you operate all the time, but never understand why. when to. when not to. how to do it without assistance from attendings. how to deal with things when they go wrong. then you will never be independent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frictionbaby said:
Some of the programs I really thought I'd like...and tried hard to like either due to reputation or research/fellowship opportunities, I came away wondering if I'd really be happy, since many of the residents commented on how "top heavy" the program was and that they were okay with not seeing the OR till PGY-III (Emory for example).

I knew from the get-go that I'd have to be aggressive about getting into the OR since our program is known for being "top-heavy" (due to the large number of residents each year - 9 - as well as lots of fellows). So I just work hard on the floor and get my butt into the OR whenever I can, if even to just retract. The attendings/fellows will notice and let you do more and more each time.

On my required ER rotation, I let everyone know I'd be more than happy to do all the procedures (which most of the ER residents didn't care about). I ended up with a ton of minor procedures, which I'm happy to do for practice. (Simple/complex lac repairs, central lines, intubations, I&Ds, fracture/dislocation reductions.)

Bottom line, show your interest in operating if you really are motivated. I'm about 2/3rds done with intern year, and in a top-heavy program, have logged over 160 cases so far.

Hi there,
I started internship under the old system where I could be in the hospital for practically an unlimited number of hours. The beauty of that system was that I had plenty of time to scrub cases with my chief residents who were excellent teachers. I was exposed to plenty of operative experience very early and was able to hone skills like opening, closing, ties etc.

The next year, the 80-hour workweek limitation was the rule and I ended up with some rotations that were fairly operative-free. While I became good at patient care and critical care, I really felt like my operative skills suffered a bit with I was away from the OR for a month or so. I attributed this to the newness of my skills.

As I have moved through the ranks, I find that having days where I do little except operate have been golden. The more cases I can do, the better technically, I have become. Like putting in central lines or arterial lines, experience is a great teacher and getting as much time in the OR has been great.

Whether top-heavy or more evenly spread out, a surgeon has to hone skills and the more you operate, the better you become. I find that my non-operative skills have not suffered as I occasionally cover the ICUs. It's been like riding a bicycle and as soon as I am in the seat, things come back pretty fast.

As long as a program's teaching skills are optimal for your learning style, you can thrive in either type of program. It is really the non-operative stuff that really fleshes out your training and good teaching is good teaching. I just know that the more operating I do, the more enjoyable the day.

njbmd :)