Too late to go back for second fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophthalmol7755

Reaction score
I finished a medical retina fellowship in 2020. Have been practicing for three years now and I just really dislike it. I always intended to pursue a surgical fellowship afterward (I did this subspecialty because it was easier to access and we prioritised my husband’s fellowship placement at the time) but when covid hit my husband (also an ophthalmologist) and I moved home and started working. I just find it to be very dissatisfying. Is it too late to go back and do an oculoplastics fellowship? I am worried I will look ridiculous and a bit self centred/ like I should just get on with things. I feel like I gave up my life to work as hard as possible for 20 years of university/ training to now do a job I don’t like. It seems like a waste. Also I have three children (ages 7,3,1) which makes things more complicated as I will have to move to do a fellowship. Would appreciate any advice, I feel lost.

Members don't see this ad.

No harm in applying if its what you want to do. You just have to be aware of the decreased salary during the time, plus the need to potentially move for that time as well. Is he supportive of you doing this?

We can take the hit on the salary and yes my husband is supportive. We would probably have to live separately for a few months. He regrets the way things turned out. I just love operating and miss it a lot. I’m still doing cataracts but they are a bit monotonous after a while. I miss the creative nature of working with the skin and making patients happy. I think I need to find a way to stop worrying about what others think. I’m too old for that. But I’m only 36 which in reality is probably not too old for further fellowship training. Thanks for your encouragement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of an odd pathway to get to plastics, why do the medical retina fellowship instead of a year of working comprehensive and doing some blephs/filler/excisions? As you know, there are very few spots nationwide each year with a boatload of applicants. Unless you were a superstar resident and have some serious support from your old department, it will be tough. You likely won’t be competitive for anything resembling ASOPRS, but there are enough private fellowships of varying quality that may give you a chance.

I agree with the above that as long as things are fine on the home front, you can give it a try. I certainly hope things go your way.

*For reference, I’m surgical retina, so YMMV on my opinions on plastics

What’s self centered about wanting to do something you like doing? I suppose it would be if it meant putting your family in dire straits financially, or if you were the only one who thought it would be a good idea to go back to training. But if neither of those things are true, then you only live once.

I do think it’s important to realize that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I mean, when I hear “plastics” and “make patients happy” there’s a huge disconnect that my mind can’t wrap itself around. So while you may remember surgery being the bees knees, it’s not perfect either. But if you’re unhappy where you are, I don’t think it’s self centered to try to do something you had a good experience with, as long as you have your family’s support.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you are not planning on taking 2 years to do an ASOPRS fellowship, would you be happy doing more-or-less mediocre plastics work for the rest of your life? If you go to one of those one-year non-ASOPRS fellowships, the training is not great and you will have to self-teach what you really want to know as far as cosmetics anyway.