Earning intern hours early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bromine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting Pharmacy school this fall in Michigan. I just got my intern license in the mail. My school (Ferris State) hasn't sent me any info about how I'm supposed to get my intern hours. The only thing I know is that there are 8 1-month rotations during the 4th year (but I don't know if they count towards the intern hours).

Anyway, I'm working right now as a tech (uncertified) for an independent pharmacy. Would the hours that I'm working right now count towards my required intern hours? If so, how do I record them? Or is there a rule that you can't start earning hours before school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the Board of Pharmacy in your state. They should be able to tell you when you can earn your intern hours.

Or is there a rule that you can't start earning hours before school starts?

I'm not sure about the other part(s) of your question (I'm in the same boat - starting P1 this year) but I do know that the rules for intern classification/hours vary by state. In Alabama, I cannot be considered an intern until I have actually attended classes for a certain amount of time... other states may allow you to begin earning hours as soon as you get your acceptance letter, though. I'm sure the BOP could clear it all up for you in one phone conversation (or you might even be able to find some answers on their website).

Members don't see this ad :)
We can't get count intern hours until we've actually started our first day in the program. In the past I think they allowed people to count hours they had during the summer before school started, but that has since changed. So, like the others said, I would contact either your school or the board of pharmacy since it's going to be a state specific question. :)

Part of the purpose of the PharmD being 4 years long is that the 1500 intern hours that you once needed to sit for licensure are now built into the curriculum for school. Your school will have ample hours in its program to count for your license. Depending on your state rules you may or may not be able to technically work as an intern before school starts.

Here in OK its actually a bit of a PITA being an intern rather than a tech, you have to have a preceptor pharmacist, rather than just any pharmacist around at all times you work and your hours must be submitted to the board frequently.