Earning potential for hair transplant surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoYouConcur

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that people pay in the range of $4-10K for a hair transplant but does anyone know how often an established doctor in this field gets clientele and how many procedures are done per day or week? Trying to figure out what the annual salary would be. Let's say one did a mere 2 procedures per week - at a conservative $5k per procedure that would be $520,000 a year (for the clinic of course). Still really impressive.

Members don't see this ad.

To do Hair Transplant, you are most likely have to be training under an established surgeon and tap into his network of clientele. Otherwise, you will find yourself spending years after years trying to build buzz and publicity; it may never happen. If you join an established Hair Transplant network like Bosley or MRH etc, you will earn about 10-15% of the total surgery you do. This adds up to about 250-300K a year.

There are tremendous costs associated with advertising, equipments and human resources. Unless you are an owner, you are not going to be rich by doing hair transplant. But it is a nice low liability field with reasonable compensation and good lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The field of HT surgery is a cluster. It has become a commodity and someone getting a transplant today has a good chance of getting a bad one. A lot of this has to do with all of the robotic devices available any doctors just acquiring them and doing transplants without any real training in the field. There is no residency and no good accrediting board that has any teeth to do anything about it. It may be a lucrative field for the physicians doing it but the ethics of many of these people are in the toilet. There are some good HT surgeons out there, but most of them are not, despite what they advertise.

Just become Lebron's personal hair transplant guy. Could easily make more than 520K

Reactions: 6 users
I know that people pay in the range of $4-10K for a hair transplant but does anyone know how often an established doctor in this field gets clientele and how many procedures are done per day or week? Trying to figure out what the annual salary would be. Let's say one did a mere 2 procedures per week - at a conservative $5k per procedure that would be $520,000 a year (for the clinic of course). Still really impressive.

OMEGALUL

Just become Lebron's personal hair transplant guy. Could easily make more than 520K

You'd spend all your money relocating every other year. Not worth. Not to mention his success rate with everything else may reflect the potential for his success with HT. One in every two hairs would survive, that's a lot of lost money.

Reactions: 1 users
To do Hair Transplant, you are most likely have to be training under an established surgeon and tap into his network of clientele. Otherwise, you will find yourself spending years after years trying to build buzz and publicity; it may never happen. If you join an established Hair Transplant network like Bosley or MRH etc, you will earn about 10-15% of the total surgery you do. This adds up to about 250-300K a year.

There are tremendous costs associated with advertising, equipments and human resources. Unless you are an owner, you are not going to be rich by doing hair transplant. But it is a nice low liability field with reasonable compensation and good lifestyle.
Why tremendous costs with HR and advertising? Equipment I can understand. Social media marketing is cheap these days.

Why tremendous costs with HR and advertising? Equipment I can understand. Social media marketing is cheap these days.

Everyone does social media marketing but that doesn't mean you will reach your demographics. Marketing for HT can easily reach $1M+ a year if you want to be in Men's Health and other printed media for vain people.

HR cost is high. The hair transplant is actually mostly done by technicians. They are the ones who slice hair strips into 5-10K of hair follicles. They are the ones who actually put those hair follicles into the patient's head. So technicians can be the difference between good and bad outcomes. Robots are 300K plus maintenance. Even then, you will still need technicians to put hairs back in. Turnovers, retention, and training can have a tremendous cost to HR. In addition, you will need salespeople to sell the procedures.

In short, it is not an easy business model.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone does social media marketing, but doesn't mean you will reach you demographics. Marketing for HT can easily reach $1M+ a year if you want to be in Men's Health and other printed media for vain people.

HR cost is high. The hair transplant is actually mostly done by technicians. They are the ones who slices hair strips into 5-10K of hair follicles. They are the one who actually put those hair follicles into patient's head. So technicians can be the difference between good and bad outcomes. Robots are 300K plus maintenance. Even then, you will still need technicians to put hairs back in. Turn overs, retention, and training can have a tremendous cost to the HR. In addition, you will need sales people to sell the procedures.

In short, it is not an easy business model.

Are you a hair transplant surgeon?

I see what you did there.

No. I am a dermatologist. At one point I was interested in hair transplant and rotated multiple months with a prominent hair transplant dermatologist. Later I changed my mind and did not go through with doing his fellowship. However I think it is a good option for anyone who want to change the direction of his or her practice from FM ER or surg. I may even consider it to be my second act one day. The clients are easier than cosmetic derm but harder than general derm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user