Easier MCAT (though not true) = harsher curve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, i KNOW the curve is predetermined but that predetermination must have been made on the fact that these questions were tested in a group setting to assess the difficulty of the exam...but I was curious, why do people say that easier (LOL- the mcat easy?)...which is subjective, but do the individual sections tend to have HARSHER curves then those mcat with superdifficult sections? JW

I usually hear this about PS and BS that people who got the roughest PS end up with a not-so-bad score afterall, so just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, i KNOW the curve is predetermined but that predetermination must have been made on the fact that these questions were tested in a group setting to assess the difficulty of the exam...but I was curious, why do people say that easier (LOL- the mcat easy?)...which is subjective, but do the individual sections tend to have HARSHER curves then those mcat with superdifficult sections? JW

I usually hear this about PS and BS that people who got the roughest PS end up with a not-so-bad score afterall, so just curious...

It seems to make sense. They need to keep it balanced. A harder MCAT would be compensated for with an easier curve, and an easier MCAT with a harsher curve. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair, now would it, since some administrations are DRASTICALLY different from others (compare the horrific 5/28 MCAT with today's MCAT-judging by the feedback of today's MCAT takers, it seemed to have been relatively easier than the 5/28 MCAT, or even the harder 3/28 MCAT, as people have even mentionted).

What he/she ^ said.

Its like any test with a curve, including tests in your undergrad classes. It doesn't really matter how difficult you thought the test was, because if you thought it was difficult, it is likely that everyone else thought so too so the curve will reflect that.

Yea that makes sense. I mean how else do u explain someone getting a score equal to or higher than their AAMC average after finding the exam so much more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)