"Easiest" places to match into IM for IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm on VSAS searching for IM electives, just wondering if you guys could suggest hospitals that are 'easy' or have high numbers of IMGs (Non-U.S citizens) that match into their program?

I want to do my electives in hospitals that are IMG friendly for IM residents.

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

As I'm on VSAS searching for IM electives, just wondering if you guys could suggest hospitals that are 'easy' or have high numbers of IMGs (Non-U.S citizens) that match into their program?

I want to do my electives in hospitals that are IMG friendly for IM residents.

Cheers,

Many of the Community/univ affiliated hospitals in NY are very IMG friendly.That would be a good place to look unless you hate New York.

Many of the Community/univ affiliated hospitals in NY are very IMG friendly.That would be a good place to look unless you hate New York.

I can vouch for this, since a lot of my IMG friends matched in NY (most in the NYC, some upstate). It seems that NY progs are really receptive to the whole J-1/H-1 visa thing or whatever it is that foreign nationals have to deal with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can vouch for this, since a lot of my IMG friends matched in NY (most in the NYC, some upstate). It seems that NY progs are really receptive to the whole J-1/H-1 visa thing or whatever it is that foreign nationals have to deal with.

I agree with the above suggestions and are good answers to your questions but just wish to share some thoughts here. Even if you don't go to an img friendly program, having an elective from a good place will significantly improve your chances of matching into a decent university program(if the rest of your stats support that). Most university affiliate programs are open to IMGs even without electives- an elective makes little difference. So essentially, by getting this added experience, your aim should be to land a university program that is better than you could have achieved without it. My point is that you should try and do an elective at the best place possible, so that your letters are stronger and your experience is worthwhile unless you prefer the security of matching into the same program by doing an elective there.

Thx for the feedback guys

Yeh, I've noticed NYC is heavy on the IMG situation.

This is why I'm seriously looking at doing my elective in Mt. Sinai NYC. Doubt I'll match there, but I assume experience at Sinai will look good.

I agree with the above suggestions and are good answers to your questions but just wish to share some thoughts here. Even if you don't go to an img friendly program, having an elective from a good place will significantly improve your chances of matching into a decent university program(if the rest of your stats support that). Most university affiliate programs are open to IMGs even without electives- an elective makes little difference. So essentially, by getting this added experience, your aim should be to land a university program that is better than you could have achieved without it. My point is that you should try and do an elective at the best place possible, so that your letters are stronger and your experience is worthwhile unless you prefer the security of matching into the same program by doing an elective there.

:thumbup:

Thx for the feedback guys

Yeh, I've noticed NYC is heavy on the IMG situation.

This is why I'm seriously looking at doing my elective in Mt. Sinai NYC. Doubt I'll match there, but I assume experience at Sinai will look good.

Great idea....

There also appear to be quite a few university programs in the South and Midwest that have some IMG's. These are the university programs that are not necessarily in the most popular locations (they tend to be in places that are colder, in smaller cities or towns, etc.). I do think there are Chicago programs that take IMG's though...I know Cook County used to have a lot. East Tennessee State U and some of the U of Tennessee branch campus programs had a lot. I'm not sure about U of Iowa, but I know U of North Dakota used to have a lot of guys from India or Pakistan.

There also appear to be quite a few university programs in the South and Midwest that have some IMG's. These are the university programs that are not necessarily in the most popular locations (they tend to be in places that are colder, in smaller cities or towns, etc.). I do think there are Chicago programs that take IMG's though...I know Cook County used to have a lot. East Tennessee State U and some of the U of Tennessee branch campus programs had a lot. I'm not sure about U of Iowa, but I know U of North Dakota used to have a lot of guys from India or Pakistan.

UIowa takes IMGs very selectively...mostly those who are planning for an academic career and have demonstrated something in that direction (e.g. publications, chapters, letters from US attendings stating that interest explicitly)....pretty much the same for any good university-based program.

New Mexico

Aww come on..its not THAT easy...I think New Mexico is a lot more selective than many university programs that interview IMGs (I think I can correlate its selectivity with UTSW or Baylor actually).