What states have easiest/cheapest to obtain licenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a locums physician who is licensed and live in NY (so I don't qualify for IMLC). Unfortunately NY jobs in my field (hospitalist) have become fewer and far between.

Most jobs in other states require an active license, or at the very least, an IMLC. Thus I'd like to invest in some licenses in other states, but not sure which ones to aim for strategically. Was wondering if anyone may have recommendations. I'd want a license that is relatively cheap, fast to get, can qualify for IMLC, and in a state that has a higher demand for hospitalist jobs.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I am a locums physician who is licensed and live in NY (so I don't qualify for IMLC). Unfortunately NY jobs in my field (hospitalist) have become fewer and far between.

Most jobs in other states require an active license, or at the very least, an IMLC. Thus I'd like to invest in some licenses in other states, but not sure which ones to aim for strategically. Was wondering if anyone may have recommendations. I'd want a license that is relatively cheap, fast to get, can qualify for IMLC, and in a state that has a higher demand for hospitalist jobs.

TIA

NY itself doesn't qualify for IMLC. But you can still apply to a state that is in IMLC, right?

Virginia is pretty cheap and easy, and busy enough that you'd likely get a lot of job offers/locums opportunities. PA too.

All in all though, your decision here will be based on the best job opportunities available and your willingness to travel, not so much on the licensure process. A good locums company can/should help you navigate that as well.

TIA
Find the job and then get the license… most locums jobs will get you the license…and will wait for you to get it.
You will need to have an IMLC eligible state be your primary state either of residence or work to be able to them apply through the IMLC.
Apparently Colorado is only taking days to get… whether there are jobs there..🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The issue with finding the job first is that most jobs require an active license or an IMLC. At least from what I've seen.
Further, most recruiters don't care from my experience if not licensed already.

The issue with finding the job first is that most jobs require an active license or an IMLC. At least from what I've seen.
Been doing locums since 2011… haven’t had a real issue getting a job but I haven’t really done hospitalist work for a few years now since I do endocrine now .

Do you work with an agency? Ask your recruiter/handler what their list of options looks like. Pick one that looks good for you and is in an IMLC state, apply there and move on.

Most jobs will help you get the license. I have yet to run into a job that didn’t want to talk with me because I didn’t already have the license in that state. Having the license already is a nice bonus because it greases the wheels to move forward, but it is by no means essential.

Most jobs will help you get the license. I have yet to run into a job that didn’t want to talk with me because I didn’t already have the license in that state. Having the license already is a nice bonus because it greases the wheels to move forward, but it is by no means essential.

It used to be like that for me too. But the number of jobs available have dried up. I have talked to 5-10 agencies in the last few days and they are all saying the same thing. Not many jobs available, and for the ones that are, an active license or IMLC is required.

I've concluded that I need to bite the bullet and purchase 1-2 licenses. Thus my goal here is to figure out what states to go for.

It used to be like that for me too. But the number of jobs available have dried up. I have talked to 5-10 agencies in the last few days and they are all saying the same thing. Not many jobs available, and for the ones that are, an active license or IMLC is required.

I've concluded that I need to bite the bullet and purchase 1-2 licenses. Thus my goal here is to figure out what states to go for.
If that is true then what is the point of doing locums? Presumably it is for income--If you go to the middlemen (or anyone) begging for a job doing all the legwork they are going to take a massive dump on your rate so why even bother? Just work more at your main job or see if a government agency nearby needs some help or look to the outpatient side but don't go crawling to the locum middlemen.

Reactions: 2 users
If that is true then what is the point of doing locums? Presumably it is for income--If you go to the middlemen (or anyone) begging for a job doing all the legwork they are going to take a massive dump on your rate so why even bother? Just work more at your main job or see if a government agency nearby needs some help or look to the outpatient side but don't go crawling to the locum middlemen.
eh...i still get companies blast emailing me about hospitalist jobs and i haven't done hospitalist since 2020...and endocrine locums seems to be pretty popular...if you put a lot of restrictions, then your opportunities are less.

If you just want a relatively quick state license to get you into the IMLC…Alabama was about 4 weeks start to finish, and it is an IMLC state (or at least it was when I got that license).

Weird. I’ve never heard of this as an issue with rheumatology, and I get hounded with locums and permanent job calls and e-mails every day. “We will help you get a license!”

Maybe it’s different for hospitalist jobs.

If you just want a relatively quick state license to get you into the IMLC…Alabama was about 4 weeks start to finish, and it is an IMLC state (or at least it was when I got that license).
You have to reside in an imlc state to get an imlc license that can port to other states. Op doesn't live in one and this cannot get that.

eh...i still get companies blast emailing me about hospitalist jobs and i haven't done hospitalist since 2020...and endocrine locums seems to be pretty popular...if you put a lot of restrictions, then your opportunities are less.

I get the same emails. Then when you follow up, they tell you the job requires license or is on hold, and then ask for your CV. Bait and switch.

You have to reside in an imlc state to get an imlc license that can port to other states. Op doesn't live in one and this cannot get that.
There are four ways to get an IMLC license, iirc. You don’t necessarily have to live there.

Got a FL license in about 10 days after submitting my application.

CA and TX are the easiest, right?

• Haha