Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Easiest schools to get into?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmwannab, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I know they're all difficult to get into, but which ones would be the easiest to get into? When I apply next year I want to apply to a few "low end" schools if you will, since my GPA isn't exactly stellar (will be around 3.1 after retakes and have yet to take the PCAT). So, anyone know much about that? I think Tuoro would be one of the easier ones. Any others? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What makes you think Touro is any easier to get into than other schools? There are no "low end" schools. 3.1 isn't a bad GPA, either. Plus, you're applying next year, which gives you even more time to improve it. You have to be well rounded. Not every 4.0 person gets accepted, either.

Do your research to prepare yourself for next year's application cycle. This site is a wealth of information. Happy searching.

4. dana92085

dana92085 **dana adell**
    5+ Year Member

there is no way to post this question 'politically correctly.' no matter what school it is someone is going to be offended. i would just check all of the schools, that you can apply to, stats. good luck.

5. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you go to aacp.org and dig around a little you will find a pdf file containing all the schools and their applicant to enrollee ratio which can at least give you an idea of your chances. If you look on PharmCas school pages it will show you average expected GPA and sometimes average PCAT but that info is less consistent and different schools share different specifics.
    An out of state public school is usually difficult to get into. Pay attention to how many out of staters they accept. It's true that no schools are easy to get into but look at how many people apply versus how many are accepted and there are your chances.
    Good luck! :luck:

6. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Last resort:
    Look into schools in Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean?? Get a bachelors in pharmacy out of country, pass the NAPLEX and work in the US. I'm just speculating here, but that might work. Although, I'm not sure if I would want you filling my scripts. ;)

7. I hope you are joking about the Canada part... Canadian schools are WAY more competitive than American schools. Especially in the Medical field. At my University, you don't get in unless you have a 3.7 GPA or higher. That's the cutoff. The other Canadian schools that offer Pharmacy are similar. That's really ignorant to assume that Canadian schools are easy to get into, or that they aren't as good.

8. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Because the US requires a PharmD and not a Bachelor's degree I think it is very difficult to tranfer licensure over to the US.

9. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Are you kidding me? I can guarantee Canadian schools are much more competitive to get into, and with a 3.1 GPA? HA! Our average GPA of acceptance is something like 3.7/3.8, what's yours?

And yet another brilliant comment from "Stephie", demonstrating just how informed Americans are. Did you know our B.Sc programs are essentially identical to your PharmD programs? The only difference is we do a 3 month clinical rotiation, opposed to an entire year in the fourth year. Canadians CAN work in America, although I have no idea why anyone would. You can make $100,000 a year here in Canada, with cheaper healthcare + lower cost of living and hey, if you travel at least everyone in the international community doesn't HATE us.

Our PharmD from UBC or UoT is much more extensive and exhausting, it's two years of a brutal courseload and research/ rotations.

These "Easiest schools to get into? LOL!!" threads are a joke, it's annoying. If you have a GPA of 3.1, bring it up. If you can't, look into other professions.

People need to stop trying to find the lowest standard instead of raising their own.

10. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why don't you try to offer support and/or advice to Pharmwannab instead of making this a U.S v.s. Canada thing because to be quite honest, I'm sure no one really cares. So, unless you have incite/advice we don't care!

11. We were responding to ethyl... if someone wants to contribute to the thread, they will. You don't care? I didn't realize I was talking to you! I don't care if you don't care!

12. And in a sense, we were contributing. Ethyl said "why don't you try Canada," and we told him why the topic creator shouldn't.

13. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hate is a strong word. I'm sure it doesn't describe "everyone" in the international community's feelings towards Americans. I suppose this is a "brilliant" comment from you.
    I was accepted into three pharmacy programs with a 3.0. Schools also consider PCAT scores and extracurriculars. Check out the FAQ.
    Pharmwannab- If you want to be a pharmacist, there is no need to look into other professions. If you can bring your GPA up, great. If not, clearly there is hope. Good luck in everything you do! Apply to several schools and keep your options open. Concentrate on doing well on the PCAT; the majority of people on this site are very helpful!
    :luck: :luck: :luck:

14. Vanessa

Vanessa Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I am new here. Joined for my daughter, a high school senior who is interested in pharmacy. She has a 3.87 GPA. Would you advise her to attend a school that has a 0-6 program? What are the advantages and disadvantages to this?

15. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Hi Vanessa,
    You'll probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread... also, you can do a search (use the search on the blue bar, not the google search farther up on the screen) and find quite a bit of info on that very topic.
    Your daughter has a great GPA and the benefit of knowing what she wants to do this early on. From what I know about 0-6 programs, I really don't see a disadvantage other than the fact that some schools don't guarantee admission to the PharmD program to students enrolled in the 0-6. I think they still have to apply after their 2 years but they are usually accepted if they have maintained the requirements.
    (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Even if she were not accepted at that time by that school, 2 years into the program she'd have the pre-reqs to apply to several other schools so, no loss!

16. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm sure there are plenty of hurdles needed to apply for licensure in the states if you have a foreign bachelors in pharmacy. ie: FPGEC certification and then NAPLEX -- definitely last resort.

For Russell7, a less provoking reply to correct my post would have been more appropriate. After all, this is a light hearted forum to help each other. ;) I forgot Canada's pharm schools are closer in comparison to England's as far as competition goes.

Pharmwannab, I guess the obvious, easiest schools for you to get in will be your in-state schools. And by easy, I mean slightly less harder than out of state. ;)

17. Vanessa

Vanessa Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    [
    Thanks ...I think I will start a new thread. Thanks for your insight.

QUOTE=ndearwater]Hi Vanessa,
    You'll probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread... also, you can do a search (use the search on the blue bar, not the google search farther up on the screen) and find quite a bit of info on that very topic.
    Your daughter has a great GPA and the benefit of knowing what she wants to do this early on. From what I know about 0-6 programs, I really don't see a disadvantage other than the fact that some schools don't guarantee admission to the PharmD program to students enrolled in the 0-6. I think they still have to apply after their 2 years but they are usually accepted if they have maintained the requirements.
    (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Even if she were not accepted at that time by that school, 2 years into the program she'd have the pre-reqs to apply to several other schools so, no loss![/QUOTE]

18. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I can look up stats on websites but I was hoping might have some insight into some particular schools that had somewhat more leniant standards (for example, schools that consider grade trends more than overall GPA, or weight more towards extracurriculars, things like that). Once again, I do realize that they are all tough to get into, but everything is relative...

Dime-a-dozen, arrogant messageboard warriors are also a joke, and *incredibly* annoying, and you're a pretty bad one at that.

You didn't have to even click on this thread, let alone reply. Next time, don't bother.

You seem to have reading comprehension trouble. I'm pretty sure that "retakes" implies that I'm trying to raise my standards... Also, you have no clue about me and what else I'm doing to improve my application. Not to mention I know a few people that have gotten in with GPAs around mine or lower.

You really should keep your ignorant comments to yourself lest you be made to look like a fool again.

19. Yeah, I probably overreacted, I admit. But downgrading Canada seems to be very popular, especially on message boards. The misinformation about us is very irritating sometimes. Especially when you say that you wouldn't want someone with a Canadian degree filling your scripts.

20. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Incorrect. The US (generally speaking) does not require a PharmD, even for new foreign graduates. For foreign grads, a 5 year degree is required. A bachelor's is acceptable if its 5 years in length. The only additional test that needs to be taken by a new Canadian (or any other foreign) grad is the FPGEE.

The ACPE decided to stop accreditation of non-PharmD programs in the USA. Some states do require 6 years of study, but not many (NY is the only one I've seen).

21. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member

I apologize for perhaps over-reacting, at the time it was ~12:30 AM and I had just been studying for 10 hours, so yeah.

I was agitated about ethyl's "I wouldn't want you filling my scripts :p " comment, because that's just plain wrong.

In regards to your actual dilemma, no I don't "know" you, and you don't "know" me. I can only base my comments based upon what I've been presented with, which was asking for the easiest schools to get into. If you are in fact working very hard to improve your grades and bring up your GPA, excellent. A hard work ethic will be noticed, as will a gradual increase in your grades.

Here's my advice: Work hard, strive for what you want. Take courses over the summer, night classes, whatever it takes to bring up your GPA so you'll have a strong application. If you do want it, your work will pay off and a steady increase in GPA will be noticed by schools.

Perhaps you shouldn't aim for the bottom tier, so to speak, but rather for the school you really want to get into, and then proceed accordingly.

Good luck.

22. Stephie

Stephie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wasn't saying that Canadian schools are easier to get into, just that transfering licensure to the US wasn't that simple.

23. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Except that... it almost is. New Canadians grads transferring to the US would have to take the NAPLEX (just like US grads), the MPJE (just like US grads), the FPGEC (unlike US grads, but probably the easiest for Canadian grads), and complete an internship hour requirement (just like US grads, some border states give Canadians some transfer credit).

Oh, and I almost forgot, most states are backwards in that they'll require all foreign grads, including Canadian ones, to take the "Test of Spoken English." I'd call it more of an insult than a requirement though.

The "hardest" part as a Canadian grad is that you will have to complete the state's internship hour requirement _after_ you graduate. But its around 1500 hours and you get paid rather well for it.

24. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Unless you're from Quebec. When my husband's family comes down to visit, we need an interpreter. They know a handful of words in English, and I know about the same amount in French.

25. Yeah, I second that. And Quebec wonders why they get isolated so much... maybe if you spoke the same language as the rest of the country, or at least made English a second language, like every country in the entire world.

26. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're so Albertan :)

27. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Practically speaking, a Canadian trained or American trained pharmacist cannot safely switch places so easily. I lived in Bellingham, WA, about 30 miles south of the Canadian border for awhile and the Walgreens there would hire people who put "licensed pharmacist" on their application without verifying which country they were licensed in, because they were short staffed and desperate. What happened was that these pharmacists made alot of mistakes because they didn't know some of the drugs or have a good grasp of US laws. The same problems would happen if you tried to transplant a US pharmacist to Canada without some sort of additional training.

28. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member

So your rationale is that because someone illegally started practicing in America, that no pharmacist can 'safely switch'?

If you were to go about it by a legal means, which Someguy and I are referring to, you write the state's board exam, and do X amount of internship hours required. Why would you bring up some example of someone breaking the law and say, well in fact you can't so easily transfer.

This is all irrelevant anyway because my comment was based upon the fact that we are equally trained at our schools, whether it be American or Canadian. Ethyl said "I wouldn't want you filling my scripts", which is implying we're not qualified, due to a lack of training. My point was our B.Sc is equivalent to your PharmD. That's all.

29. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I believe the keywords in bananaface's comment were "so easily," meaning that a safe switch can be made but it's not an easy process. Now that makes all the difference in the world, no?

30. bananaface

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Exactly. When I get out of school, I will not be prepared to practice pharmacy in Canada. I'd need a pretty long and well structured internship to be prepared.

31. lol! yep!

32. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm tempted to lie and just say that WVU is easy to get into. That way the school would get larger revenues from the increase in applications from backdoor-seekers and the application fees that go along with them, which, and this is the good part, would decrease my tuition. In fact...hmm. Yes. Good idea.

WVU is easy to get into. We let a guy that was in prison for 15 years for selling crack get in because he was a better candidate than most people that apply. I think the average GPA is 0.98 with an average PCAT of 12. I got in because I delivered a pizza in under 25 minutes to a guy in the clinical dept.

33. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you really think they'd reduce your tuition because they got more money from applications? Or for any reason for that matter?

I like the way my program is run, but I really don't think they'd pass on any extra revenues to us.

34. fidelio

fidelio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    My dad is a pharmacist and I'm trying to remember what he said about Canada. Either he wants me to go to Canada because it's cheaper, or that Canadian schools are harder? I can't remember...

Anyway, Touro sounds ok. I'm not sure if it's easy, but their GPA standards don't seem as high as UCSF so I guess that's good. Umm, but my family members seem to want to get into Nevada because they don't require recommendation letters, PCATS, and they have a three year program I think. Plus the cost isn't too much? I don't remember.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

35. dinosaur190

dinosaur190 New Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Gonna have to agree with ButlerPharm.D on this one. Requiem=Douche.

Thank You :D

36. bananaface

Pharmacist
    There is no need for name calling.