easiest US med. school to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we have a thread on the hardest US med. school to get into what is the easiest?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its hard to answer this question honestly without starting a fight on this board. I would say based on Numbers alone, US News would consider Howard to be a "less competitive" school. I am sure it is challenging to get into any med school though, and Howard is a fine school.

Coops

Out of curiousity, what medical school has the largest class size?

Originally posted by sanoge7

University of Illinois-175 students in Chicago, and 125 in the other campuses. They've actually advertised it as a strength, due to the variety of research possibilities, and different specialties that you can get into.

Originally posted by sanoge7

UIC!!! 300 students.

But Indiana University is a close second place with 294. If I'm not mistaken, the Indiana U students are all in the same place at the same time where as UIC students are divided up among several campuses.

Judging from numbers alone, some state med schools are pretty easy if you are in-state. U-Vermont comes to mind. I think the acceptance rate is 60% if you are in-state.

Originally posted by ixitixl
UIC!!! 300 students.

But Indiana University is a close second place with 294. If I'm not mistaken, the Indiana U students are all in the same place at the same time where as UIC students are divided up among several campuses.

Indiana divides up their students into something like 9 campuses for the first two years (with half in Indianapolis) then everyone goes to the Indy campus for the 3rd and 4th years.

Originally posted by ixitixl
Judging from numbers alone, some state med schools are pretty easy if you are in-state. U-Vermont comes to mind. I think the acceptance rate is 60% if you are in-state.

thats only because only a very small number from instate ever apply.

outside of that there is no easy med school to get into. wouldnt explain how some people get into a school that is seen as better by the general population and not get into a place that wasnt regarded as highly. too many factors to consider to even think about this.

Howard is NOT easy to get into.... I've been complete for months and not a word. Last year as well I got rejected and my stats are much higher than their 'averages'. Maybe its because I'm not a URM .... but who knows....

There is no easy US Allopathic med school to get into. They all have standards that must be maintained for a US-trained doctor. Lets end this now, before it becomes a flame war.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever school lets me in...

The easiest school to get into is your state school if you are a resident of certain states. For example if you are a resident of Mississippi and apply to University of Mississippi you have an incredibly high chance of being admitted. This is also true for Mercer and East Carolina.

Leave California and become a resident of Texas and you are almost guaranteed a place in med school!

;)

Originally posted by ocean11
Howard is NOT easy to get into.... I've been complete for months and not a word. Last year as well I got rejected and my stats are much higher than their 'averages'. Maybe its because I'm not a URM .... but who knows....

You actually bothered applying to Howard as a non-URM?? How many white people actually go there? Any? I met one non-black so far on the interview trail (for residency) from Howard, and he was Hispanic.

Originally posted by powermd
You actually bothered applying to Howard as a non-URM?? How many white people actually go there? Any? I met one non-black so far on the interview trail (for residency) from Howard, and he was Hispanic.

You'd be surprised.

That would be any DO school.

Originally posted by powermd

Not only am I a non-URM but I'm also Canadian lol....

I suppose my chances arn't too good eh?

But seriously... the reason I applied to Howard is that i thought that my stats were above the average so therefore maybe I'd be granted an interview. Plus I really want to work in poor communities, as a family practitioner. I thought it would be a great school for primary care.....

Oh well....

Originally posted by ocean11

Yes! That would be a good conclusion:idea:

Originally posted by supereagles
Yes! That would be a good conclusion:idea:

LOL
@ocean11, i know many URMs with high stats that still got rejected from Howard, so it doesnt make that much of a difference, and there isnt an easier schl to get into anyway.

Didn't someone mention before that Meharry is also one of the easier med school to get into too?

Again it's a predominantly African American school