East Coast vs West Coast for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've been really debating over choosing an east coast school over a west coast school. From what I can gather it seems as though east coast schools in GENERAL provide better hospitals and a more academically inclined environment. It is well known that some of the best hospitals such as Massachussets General are located out on the east. It seems as though most of the top schools are in the east coast also. Culturally, the west coast, where I have spent all of my life, seems to be far more laid back and relaxed. The top school in the west coast is probably Stanford and most east coast schools probably blow it away. What are some of your thoughts on east coast vs west coast? Also, I'll list some of the most desireable cities from each coast.

East:

Boston
New York
Philadelphia

West:

Los Angleles
San Francisco
Seattle

And then of course you have Chicago and Minneapolis in the midwest. Where would you guys like to go for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Ha. The best medical school on the West Coast is DEFINITELY UW or UCSF.

Just to get you started.

Also, "most" East coast schools do not come close to "blowing Stanford away."

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got accepted to both, like both equally, and will be paying pretty much the same for both...flip a coin.

what about UCSF, and UW for some top west coast schools?

Also, if you're choosing between an east coast school and a west coast school, base your decision on the school. Any school in the east doesn't really gain anything from being in close proximity to highly ranked schools or reputed hospitals, unless they're affiliated with them. You'll only be going to whatever school you matriculate in, not jumping around schools in the region. So the issue should be more school specific than comparing regions.

The top school in the west coast is probably Stanford and most east coast schools probably blow it away.

No. The East Coast has elite medical schools, yes, like Harvard and Johns Hopkins, but Stanford and UCSF are just as respected.

If you want to go to the East Coast to try something new and different, that's fine, but don't do it because you think the schools there are by definition better.

Also, Washington University in St. Louis is a top 10 school as well that is not on either coast.

Finally, it sounds like you haven't applied yet. It's not as though you just sign up for whichever elite medical school sounds good to you. Even if you have a 40 MCAT and 4.0, there are no guarantees.

No. The East Coast has elite medical schools, yes, like Harvard and Johns Hopkins, but Stanford and UCSF are just as respected.

If you want to go to the East Coast to try something new and different, that's fine, but don't do it because you think the schools there are by definition better.

Also, Washington University in St. Louis is a top 10 school as well that is not on either coast.

Finally, it sounds like you haven't applied yet. It's not as though you just sign up for whichever elite medical school sounds good to you. Even if you have a 40 MCAT and 4.0, there are no guarantees.

No I haven't applied and most likely these schools are going to end up being major reaches. I was just using top schools for comparison purposes although mid-tier is probably more in my league.

:laugh:
I've also heard good things about the place called Mayo Clinic. Although, quite a few non-med people wonder why a school is named after mayonaisse.

what about ucla, ucsd? those are great programs!!! and both are close to the beach.... :)

Also, "most" East coast schools do not come close to "blowing Stanford away."

sooooooooo true...Stanford's program (aside from rank...I'm not one of those who gets all caught up on rank) is amazing...and they have a number of great affiliations