East L.A. College for chem prereq?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

back to school

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my B.A. a long time ago, and now I'm going to community college for prereqs. I've finished all of them except the chemistry classes, and made sure I got straight As, since my undergrad GPA was a low B.

I decided to change from Rio Hondo College to East L.A. College because I found the chem teacher at Rio Hondo too tough (she describes herself as a "tiger mother"), and I now have a W on my record for chemistry.

Question 1: I'm worried is that ELAC may have a reputation for being too easy. Do you think this will count against me?

Question 2: My recommendation letters will have to be from city college profs, since I graduated so long ago. Will this count against me?

Thanks!
 
I got my B.A. a long time ago, and now I'm going to community college for prereqs. I've finished all of them except the chemistry classes, and made sure I got straight As, since my undergrad GPA was a low B.

I decided to change from Rio Hondo College to East L.A. College because I found the chem teacher at Rio Hondo too tough (she describes herself as a "tiger mother"), and I now have a W on my record for chemistry.

Question 1: I'm worried is that ELAC may have a reputation for being too easy. Do you think this will count against me?

Question 2: My recommendation letters will have to be from city college profs, since I graduated so long ago. Will this count against me?

Thanks!

Are you talking about community college (2 year) or city college (4 year)? You
mentioned both in your message. For example, the city college in my state is actually respected for their science programs. It is comparable to the best private schools in the city. I didn't want to risk taking any courses at a community college but I believe others have found sucess. Regardless, I would rather an "A" from a city/community college than a "C", "D" or "F." It sounds like the other professor wasn't going to work out and your grade would not have been what you wanted. If you are going to take the course at the city/community college, you should shoot for an "A" and nothing less.
 
Are you talking about community college (2 year) or city college (4 year)? You
mentioned both in your message. For example, the city college in my state is actually respected for their science programs. It is comparable to the best private schools in the city. I didn't want to risk taking any courses at a community college but I believe others have found sucess. Regardless, I would rather an "A" from a city/community college than a "C", "D" or "F." It sounds like the other professor wasn't going to work out and your grade would not have been what you wanted. If you are going to take the course at the city/community college, you should shoot for an "A" and nothing less.

Thanks. Around here (and I'd thought everwhere) city and community college are synonymous, as far as I know, both referring to 2-year colleges (which are about the only places I'd have a chance on being admitted in CA, since I already have a degree).
 
Thanks. Around here (and I'd thought everwhere) city and community college are synonymous, as far as I know, both referring to 2-year colleges (which are about the only places I'd have a chance on being admitted in CA, since I already have a degree).
Hey, back to school... I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. Got my BA a while ago and decided to go back to community college for my PT program prereq's. Just wanted you to know that I did quite well (as far as I'm concerned!) with applying this current cycle. I applied to 7 schools, most of which were in CA (I'm from/in SoCal, too), and I got 4 interviews from all 4 of the schools that required them. The only school I got an outright rejection from was Univ of Wash. I was accepted to 3 programs (Western, Chapman, and Samuel Merritt), and I was in the top 8 alternates for UCSF/SFSU's program. Good for you for getting all A's! I wasn't able to pull that off; got B's in chem and physics. Also, two of my letters of rec were from my community college profs. I'd guess that as long as they're strong recommendations, it doesn't matter where the professors are teaching. Good luck to you!! I'm so happy to say that all that hard work to get into a program has payed off.