easy DO for california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD driven

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate any advice on the easiest DO school to get into if you live in California. I am going to retake the MCAT because I had a bad day and bombed- 18 with 3 in verbal. I want to consider my options for next year.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S I have a good GPA so I think I still might have a chance

Members don't see this ad.

nice screen name.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate any advice on the easiest DO school to get into if you live in California. I am going to retake the MCAT because I had a bad day and bombed- 18 with 3 in verbal. I want to consider my options for next year.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Western is one of the hardest to get into GPA and MCAT wise. Not sure about the others but I think they are all in the same range. Get your verbal up and you will prob be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a good GPA you probably need a at least a 26 unless you have some stellar ec's

you want to retake the MCAT, not trying to be mean or anything, but reality is that a 3 in verbal will pretty much not get you in anywhere....i know that western automatically rejects any section with a 4 and lower...work on your verbal, retake it, get a 25+ and you'll be in the range for DO schools, among other things....

:thumbup: that is what I am planning on. Good to hear advice that matches my decisions.

Thanks again

its ok, bring ur verbal up. I got in with 11PS, 3VR, 11BS in 11 schools. the 3 in VR is ok if ur other two sections are high. Bring it up to a 5 or 6 and u will be good :) Good luck

thanks simpleman. I saw you on the Ross forum. Do you go to Ross. If so, why did you choose Ross over DO.

appreciate your advice as I am trying to make this decision right now:cool:

its ok, bring ur verbal up. I got in with 11PS, 3VR, 11BS in 11 schools. the 3 in VR is ok if ur other two sections are high. Bring it up to a 5 or 6 and u will be good :) Good luck

Wow. That's great that despite the extremely low VR score of 3, you still got into 11 schools! Which US schools did you get into and what was your overall/science GPAs?

I believe that TUCOM (at least -MI) does not offer secondaries to applicants with VR < 6.

:thumbup: that is what I am planning on. Good to hear advice that matches my decisions.

Thanks again

also change your sn..perhaps DO DRIVEN, it would be nice to see people represent their goals.

Retake MCrap...

First time I got 7 in VR. People told me it was very low for DO and MD schools even considering that when I took MCrap first time I was living in the US only for 4 years. So I had to take MCrap 2 more time to push it to 9:)
It is possible my advice is READ,READ,READ!!! Good luck!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Is English a second language? If so, disregard what follows.

That really is bull**** if it's not. You obviously fell asleep or didn't study if you got a 3 in any section. I don't think that any school will or should accept you with that low of stat... A three is the equivalent of applying with a sub-2.5 GPA, IMO. Every section of the MCAT uses verbal reasoning, so I do not understand how you can get two 11's and a 3. Makes no sense...

Nonetheless, it is not the final nail in the coffin. They offer retakes throughout the year with the new CBT exam. Best of luck... the rest of your stats look great just bring that VR score up.

simpleman, it isn't true that a 5 or 6 is good enough. It happens but it is often the exception to the rule... You are going to want a 7 at least... Work your butt off...

Is English a second language? If so, disregard what follows.

That really is bull**** if it's not. You obviously fell asleep or didn't study if you got a 3 in any section. I don't think that any school will or should accept you with that low of stat... A three is the equivalent of applying with a sub-2.5 GPA, IMO. Every section of the MCAT uses verbal reasoning, so I do not understand how you can get two 11's and a 3. Makes no sense...

Nonetheless, it is not the final nail in the coffin. They offer retakes throughout the year with the new CBT exam. Best of luck... the rest of your stats look great just bring that VR score up.

simpleman, it isn't true that a 5 or 6 is good enough. It happens but it is often the exception to the rule... You are going to want a 7 at least... Work your butt off...

haha, i completely understand where you come from. English is my 5th language and I have a hard time understanding my passages. I applied to 15 schools, and I got 11 interviews and I got in all of schools. They saw that I am strong in the other two areas and wondered why I did so horrible, so they called me for an interview. My communication skills are excellent when it came to interview time and they admired my character.

OUt of the 11, I sent my deposit for three schools so I reserve a seat for each one. I do not know which one I will pick. I am praying about it and i am waiting for an answer from God.

Honestly, that 3 on the mcat wont go up. All my three attempts on the mcats were 3s. My first MCAT score was PS:8, VR3, PS7, 2nd: 8,3,14, 3rd 11,3,11. I couldnt raise it. I prepared so much for the second and third time, but never could get it up.

I am sorry if i made you angry for any reason. Maybe I will see you in the fall at PCOM :)

for the record, the GPA is a 3.90 Science and 3.88 overall, if you were wondering

haha, i completely understand where you come from. English is my 5th language and I have a hard time understanding my passages. I applied to 15 schools, and I got 11 interviews and I got in all of schools. They saw that I am strong in the other two areas and wondered why I did so horrible, so they called me for an interview. My communication skills are excellent when it came to interview time and they admired my character.

OUt of the 11, I sent my deposit for three schools so I reserve a seat for each one. I do not know which one I will pick. I am praying about it and i am waiting for an answer from God.

Honestly, that 3 on the mcat wont go up. All my three attempts on the mcats were 3s. My first MCAT score was PS:8, VR3, PS7, 2nd: 8,3,14, 3rd 11,3,11. I couldnt raise it. I prepared so much for the second and third time, but never could get it up.

I am sorry if i made you angry for any reason. Maybe I will see you in the fall at PCOM :)

I didn't mind if it was a 2nd language...why would I mind if it's a fifth!? Your GPA is extremely impressive...

That is a suitable explanation. Someone who has english as their first language and scores a 3 on verbal is highly questionable though.

PCOM is a great school, IMO. You wouldn't go wrong...:thumbup:

for the OP, do not give up hope. You can do it and the DO route is not bad at all. At the end, you will become a US graduate Physician. So dont think outside the US. There are many benefits of being a US graduate. This is from experience with my parents and my relatives. Good luck with your journey; just try to retake the MCAT and excel in it.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

You have about as good of a chance as you do being struck by lightning and dying from it (note: 75-90% of those struck survive) as you do getting into an American medical school- DO or MD. May I suggest the Caribbean or eastern European schools? Mexico perhaps if you hable Espanol?

CA schools are competitive, but worth trying. Do your research to see the cutoffs before applying to save money.

The only 2 schools in California are Western (S. Cali) and Touro (N. Cali). Both are difficult to get in to (although Western may be a bit harder).