Easy optometry schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winggirl2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys in applying to most optometry schools this year. I'm an undergrad who will not have a bachelors before matriculation. Anyone get accepted without a bachelors? And where? Let me know please!

Members don't see this ad.

Yah i was accepted for this upcoming year at a bunch of places without a bachelors (ICO, Indiana, Ohio and NOVA). if you have any questions let me know

Yah i was accepted for this upcoming year at a bunch of places without a bachelors (ICO, Indiana, Ohio and NOVA). if you have any questions let me know
Omg congrats!! Please post your stats? Gpa? OAT? experience ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think bachelor degree is that important when it comes to admission. You just need to finish all the requirement courses, have a solid gpa, good oat and some shadow experience and you are good to go. As far as easy school, you can check out each school class profile for average oat and gpa. Usually the newer school and Puerto Rico has Lower average than established schools.

Thanks, and I can definitely understand the confusion on your part. The information for non degree applicants is limited. So after my third year my GPA was a 3.81, OAT was 360 and I had done about 40 hours job shadowing by that point. I can say that as someone without a degree, your schooling options are limited slightly. For example, schools such as berkley, houston, etc... do not let non degree students in at all. If that is no issue (and you are happy to get in anywhere), there are still i think like 14 schools you can apply to. Now, certain schools specifically say they do not care at all about whether you have a degree or not (Pacific, San Antonio, and a couple others). Others PREFER degrees but you can still get in without one (if i can do it, so can you!). These include ICO, Indiana i believe. Apply early. Any other questions?

Thanks, and I can definitely understand the confusion on your part. The information for non degree applicants is limited. So after my third year my GPA was a 3.81, OAT was 360 and I had done about 40 hours job shadowing by that point. I can say that as someone without a degree, your schooling options are limited slightly. For example, schools such as berkley, houston, etc... do not let non degree students in at all. If that is no issue (and you are happy to get in anywhere), there are still i think like 14 schools you can apply to. Now, certain schools specifically say they do not care at all about whether you have a degree or not (Pacific, San Antonio, and a couple others). Others PREFER degrees but you can still get in without one (if i can do it, so can you!). These include ICO, Indiana i believe. Apply early. Any other questions?
Thanks for you response! You had a really high gpa. Wow I'm jealous. Lol I have a 3.3 gpa with 60 hours of shadowing two optometrist as well as an optimalagist. I'm really hoping I can get in somewhere, anywhere!

I don't think bachelor degree is that important when it comes to admission. You just need to finish all the requirement courses, have a solid gpa, good oat and some shadow experience and you are good to go. As far as easy school, you can check out each school class profile for average oat and gpa. Usually the newer school and Puerto Rico has Lower average than established schools.
Thanks. Do you know anyone who has got in without a bachelors?

Thanks. Do you know anyone who has got in without a bachelors?
Well, I attend UHCO and bachelor is one of their requirements. However, I know some people got into ICO and San Antonio without a bachelor degree.

Be careful, many schools require a bachelor's degree. The answer to 75% of the questions on this forum is to talk to the admissions committees.

Reactions: 1 user
if you have any more questions fee free to ask, i definitely understand your position and i know it can be confusing/stressful at times

if you have any more questions fee free to ask, i definitely understand your position and i know it can be confusing/stressful at times
Thanks for all your help. I really want to get into Western since i live in California. How did you study for your OAT??

I took the kaplan course. It is somewhat pricey but it honestly will prepare you more than possible. There is no way you can get through all the material that comes with it. I spend 1 summer (last summer) studying and wrote before school started in sept.

I would recommend Chad's videos. Much cheaper than Kaplan. You honestly don't need to spend the money for that course.

Hi. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I am hoping to get into optometry school after my junior year with all my prereqs done and over 90 credits. If I have a 3.45 GPA, have a job as a student medical assistant, volunteer once a week, and shadow an optometrist, do I have a chance of getting in? I am taking all my classes needed to prepare for the OAT this summer scheduled for next semester and plan to get an OAT tutor for this summer too. I feel as if I could potentially be a good interviewer, I am absolutely positive it is what I want to do and am very passionate about it. I am only unsure about my GPA considering I am also trying to apply early.

Is there any tips you could give me to higher my chances or any feedback to whether you think I would get it?