easy question re: fatty acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are fatty acids considerd amphiphilic, or nonpolar, or both? I would say amphiphilic bc i know they have both a carbox acid and a fatty acid, but i read somewhere that the long hydrocarbon chain makes it overall nonpolar (and, at any rate, they're classified as lipids which are nonpolar by definition)

Members don't see this ad.

are fatty acids considerd amphiphilic, or nonpolar, or both? I would say amphiphilic bc i know they have both a carbox acid and a fatty acid, but i read somewhere that the long hydrocarbon chain makes it overall nonpolar (and, at any rate, they're classified as lipids which are nonpolar by definition)

They are amphipathic because the have polar carboxylic acid groups and nonpolar carbon chains. The longer the carbon chain, the less important the polar region becomes. Overall, I'd say they are pretty nonpolar because they are lipids with long carbon chains, but technically they are amphipathic.

amphipathic. the COOH group is polar, the hydrocarbon tail is nonpolar. The longer the tail, the more hydrophobic the molecule. If you see lipid, think nonpolar, but remember the COOH group.

edit: oops, I was beaten.

alright so TECHNICALLY speaking, its amphipathic, even though there's often a very large nonpolar component to it. got it, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are amphipathic because the have polar carboxylic acid groups and nonpolar carbon chains. The longer the carbon chain, the less important the polar region becomes. Overall, I'd say they are pretty nonpolar because they are lipids with long carbon chains, but technically they are amphipathic.

Pookiez88, you sound like John from AO. :laugh: