eating disorder affected grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haaaaaaaaaaveyoumetted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you could mention it, but when talking about bad grades/semesters, I think it's important to not come off as making an excuse. You might say something along the lines of "I wasn't in a good place at the time, and I let real life get in the way of my studies. Fortunately, I got help for my ED, and managed to bring grades up in subsequent semesters. Upon reflection on that semester, I now take a more proactive strategy towards dealing with stress, and am proud that I beat my ED."

I don't think it has to be a big thing, as long as you don't make excuses, talk about what you took from it and how you're confident that it won't happen again type of thing.

Congrats on beating your ED, by the way. That's an accomplishment for sure.

How low were your grades in that semester? Were they so far below your norm that it raises eyebrows?
You are going to have to address this performance somewhere along the application trail. You can avoid specifically calling it an eating disorder but you need to talk about it and show that the problem has been resolved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not mention your woes in PS; that's for "why Medicine?" and "Who Am I?"

Save explanations for interviews or secondary prompts like "Greatest challenge overcome?" or "Anything else you want to tell us"?

Hi everyone,
I'm new here (have been lurking forever) and just looking for some advice. I got a 3.93 my freshman year of college, and sophomore fall was pretty strong too (one B+ because life)... but I started to get very bad anxiety which led to an eating disorder by the spring. That semester is markedly bad compared to all others as I was struggling a lot and would not admit I needed help (I also took on waaaaaaay too many classes/responsibilities). However through the summer I worked with a professional and sought help and my grades rebounded back up- even taking 5-6 classes junior year I maintained above a 3.7 for both semesters. My question is whether I should address the reason for my poor performance spring of sophomore year in my application when I apply. My premed advisor thinks I should, but could this give the impression that I would not be able to handle the stress of medical school?

Reactions: 2 users
I think cons outweigh benefits here. Mentioning it brings up doubt if you can handle the stress of being a doctor

Reactions: 1 user
I had really bad GAD in high school and missed 32 days my freshman year(not 32 days straight) because of it. I failed 4/8 classes. I can't even believe I graduated on time and still managed to be a year younger than most of the people in my graduating class.

How low were your grades in that semester? Were they so far below your norm that it raises eyebrows?
You are going to have to address this performance somewhere along the application trail. You can avoid specifically calling it an eating disorder but you need to talk about it and show that the problem has been resolved.

They did not go below a B- in one class and two B+, but I think it is noticable compared to other semesters, especially all being in one semester. Thanks for the tips

Do not mention your woes in PS; that's for "why Medicine?" and "Who Am I?"

Save explanations for interviews or secondary prompts like "Greatest challenge overcome?" or "Anything else you want to tell us"?

Thanks, that's kind of what I meant. I am not going to be addressing it in my PS, but I have a feeling it will come up somewhere. Particularly in "Anything else you want to tell us". But my issue is I'm more concerned that this would not be received well. I am very proud to have overcome this, but worry that the stigma surrounding virtually all mental health issues will come across as a negative attribute

I think you could mention it, but when talking about bad grades/semesters, I think it's important to not come off as making an excuse. You might say something along the lines of "I wasn't in a good place at the time, and I let real life get in the way of my studies. Fortunately, I got help for my ED, and managed to bring grades up in subsequent semesters. Upon reflection on that semester, I now take a more proactive strategy towards dealing with stress, and am proud that I beat my ED."

I don't think it has to be a big thing, as long as you don't make excuses, talk about what you took from it and how you're confident that it won't happen again type of thing.

Congrats on beating your ED, by the way. That's an accomplishment for sure.

Thanks a lot! I am worried about the wording such that I'm taking responsibility for the grades but addressing the extra factors leading to the significantly worse semester. This is good advice for sure, thank you

Consistent academic excellence is the key to allaying Adcom's fears about this issue affecting you.

Thanks, that's kind of what I meant. I am not going to be addressing it in my PS, but I have a feeling it will come up somewhere. Particularly in "Anything else you want to tell us". But my issue is I'm more concerned that this would not be received well. I am very proud to have overcome this, but worry that the stigma surrounding virtually all mental health issues will come across as a negative attribute

Definitely definitely definitely do not specify that you had issues with ED. Go for something else, please. Maybe your family was going through a hard time that demanded your attention. Just something that doesn't target you as a high risk applicant prone to collapse under stress (I am speaking as a high achieving person with an ED. People have beliefs, however unfounded they actually are). Maybe this was your first difficult semester and you were getting your footing. Something something anything but a mental disorder.

But go you at any rate!