Ec based schools!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireandice98933

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was kinda goin through my stats after lookin at some of the threads on this forum. I realized my stats are pretty average 3.5 gpa, 3.2 science (maybe even lower than average actually LOL). The thing im strong in is my ECs.

Does anyone know any schools that are really focused on ECs to point where they can really make you when you got soem average stats? Im just a little worried my numbers are gonna hold me down...

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to the lower tier schools statwise from the MSAR.

Rock the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with posts above. Apply broadly and to lower tier schools. and rock the MCAT you need to compensate for your GPA. Good Luck:thumbup:

University of Maryland, Penn State, Medical College of Wisconsin, Georgetown, Duke, UCLA, Brown, Vermont, Case Western, and University of Wisconsin-Madison

You're going to have to do well on the MCAT. Look at my MDapps - on hold at PSU and Drexel. I also have a feeling I'll be placed on hold at NYMC because they sent me an email today stressing the important of getting them my fall grades. If I was qualified they'd probably not have sent that email. So, that said, yeah, don't just depend on ECs because I felt I had several strong leadership positions and volunteer experiences.

but bad grades plus good, not outstanding, ECs is also not good enough.

A 3.5 is not "bad grades" a 3.5 is a B+/A- average. That's good in my opinion. OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about. With a solid MCAT score you will be fine.

What ECs are specfically sought?

the usual. delivering babies in africa, first author publications in 10+ impact journals (New england, cell, etc), teaching orthopedic surgery residents from foreign medical schools how to perform procedures.

the usual. delivering babies in africa, first author publications in 10+ impact journals (New england, cell, etc), teaching orthopedic surgery residents from foreign medical schools how to perform procedures.

Damn, and here I thought my cure for cancer would be worth something. Apparently not, I guess I might as well pour the cure down the drain :(.

I'm pretty convinced that soon enough in order to become a doctor, you'll need to be a doctor. Having practiced medicine for 10 years will be a requirement.

University of Maryland, Penn State, Medical College of Wisconsin, Georgetown, Duke, UCLA, Brown, Vermont, Case Western, and University of Wisconsin-Madison

these schools seem pretty academic orientated to me...