EC Concerns - Lack of Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ross7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
36Q; 4.0 sGPA; 3.96 cGPA - Biochemistry major, Spanish + Math minor

-3 years research experience (no pubs, 2 presentations + 2 abstracts)
-Exec Chair in the uni's student-led public health program (2 years-present)
-VP of a medical brigade organization which traveled to Honduras twice over the past two spring breaks to provide medical care 8-9 hours/day over 3 days (1 year-present, 1 year as general member)
-Philanthropy chair (currently) after being a member of the pre-health organization since freshman year
-Recently accepted to senior honorary society
-1 research internship award, 2 small scholarships (1 from the pre-health organization, 1 from honors college), and Dean's List w/ distinction for several semesters

Concerns:
1) No shadowing
2) Limited US-based clinical volunteering
-Intermittent hospice work starting in Fall '11, stopped Spring '12, have since resumed regular 4 hr/week starting July - I know this looks bad as it isn't a long-term commitment

I'm debating between submitting my application (ready to go) now or taking a year and getting more clinical experience. Do you think its possible to be accepted anywhere with this limitation?

Personally my work abroad was substantial in solidifying my desire to go to become a doctor, and I know I can express that passion - but obviously only if I get the chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

-VP of a medical brigade organization which traveled to Honduras twice over the past two spring breaks to provide medical care 8-9 hours/day over 3 days (1 year-present, 1 year as general member)
-Philanthropy chair (currently) after being a member of the pre-health organization since freshman year
-1 research internship award, 2 small scholarships (1 from the pre-health organization, 1 from honors college), and Dean's List w/ distinction for several semesters

Concerns:
1) No shadowing
-Intermittent hospice work starting in Fall '11, stopped Spring '12, have since resumed regular 4 hr/week starting July - I know this looks bad as it isn't a long-term commitment

I'm debating between submitting my application (ready to go) now or taking a year and getting more clinical experience. Do you think its possible to be accepted anywhere with this limitation?

Personally my work abroad was substantial in solidifying my desire to go to become a doctor, and I know I can express that passion - but obviously only if I get the chance.
It's not impossible you could get an acceptance with the ongoing clinical experience and some shadowing completed before interview time, just far less likely. Have you considered applying to MD/PhD programs where less clinical experience is not so much a hindrance?

I have considered it - and it looks like I will be considering it some more. Thank you very much!

Here's the problem that I see. I predict you'll get plenty of interviews, but get wait-listed because you have yet to show you know what you're getting into, and we have no idea if you'd even like touching patients or being around sick/injured people.

Most med school applicants have patient contact experience in buckets, and the fact that you have so little worries me, at this stage in the game.

You're going to spend the next 50 years being a doctor, you ought to know what a day in the life of one is. Would you buy a new car without test-driving it? Buy a new suit without trying it on????

Concerns:
1) No shadowing