EC hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetthem

Reaction score
Hey, I am applying for DO schools for this upcoming cycle. I was just wondering if my volunteering and shadowing hours are good for DO schools.

200 hours - Shadowing in underserved communities (MD and DO; Cardiologist, Pediatrician, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, etc.)
108 hours - Volunteering (Mayo Clinic for 10 months)
400+ hours - Non-clinical volunteering (A group of us tried to start a mobile health clinic for an underserved community near my school but it did not occur due to budget issues)
150+ hours - Qualitative research project for almost 2 years (mostly did literature review and analyzing data to make graphs; might get published in the next few months; do not know yet)
Tutor job - might be close to 100 hours

I had really good experiences and felt I was able to really explain everything in my personal statement. I am feeling really nervous about clinical volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your extracurriculars are in perfect shape for DO.

I think your extracurriculars are in perfect shape for DO.
Ok, thank you!! I was just a little nervous because I have about 108 clinical volunteer hours in the hospital. I thought that was a really good number and I was able to learn a lot. However, I saw some people who had like 300 or even 500+ volunteer hours in the hospital (like just clinical volunteering not including shadowing). It just scared me a bit. Thanks for the reply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thank you!! I was just a little nervous because I have about 108 clinical volunteer hours in the hospital. I thought that was a really good number and I was able to learn a lot. However, I saw some people who had like 300 or even 500+ volunteer hours in the hospital (like just clinical volunteering not including shadowing). It just scared me a bit. Thanks for the reply!!
Lol, I totally get you. This process is long and crazy, which can make us feel so under-prepared. But hey, it never hurts to add more hours to your clinical volunteer hours.

Hey, I am applying for DO schools for this upcoming cycle. I was just wondering if my volunteering and shadowing hours are good for DO schools.

200 hours - Shadowing in underserved communities (MD and DO; Cardiologist, Pediatrician, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, etc.)
108 hours - Volunteering (Mayo Clinic for 10 months)
400+ hours - Non-clinical volunteering (A group of us tried to start a mobile health clinic for an underserved community near my school but it did not occur due to budget issues)
150+ hours - Qualitative research project for almost 2 years (mostly did literature review and analyzing data to make graphs; might get published in the next few months; do not know yet)
Tutor job - might be close to 100 hours

I had really good experiences and felt I was able to really explain everything in my personal statement. I am feeling really nervous.
@Goro @LizzyM
Sounds good to me, do you have a DO letter?