ECFVG and non-accredited schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jollie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i have been lurking around these forums for some time now, and was wondering if anyone could clue me up on ECFVG and non-accredited schools? from what i understand, if u are from a non-accredited school, you would have to take the ECFVG to practice in the US? besides this, what's the difference between accredited and non-accredited schools?thanks a bunch :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm a student from St. George's which is a non-accredited caribbean school. I applied to the States and didn't get in, so instead of reapplying year after year, I came down here for Veterinary school. The difference between nonaccredited and accredited is that nonaccredited (with the exception of ROSS, and maybe soon -- SGU) is not federally backed. You have to take out private loans. At the end of three years here on the island wth SGU, you go back to one of the States schools for your fourth clinical year. Before you leave, you can take a test called the PAVE. Which is like the ECFVG but is a lot cheaper and the clinical portion of the test is considered your fourth year in clinicals. The downside of the PAVE is that it's not accepted in every State like the ECFVG is. The ECFVG is significantly more expensive and is a three day test.

You still have to take the NAVLE like any other Veterinary student in the US.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love SGU, I don't have any regrets!

Hi there,

I'm a student from St. George's which is a non-accredited caribbean school. I applied to the States and didn't get in, so instead of reapplying year after year, I came down here for Veterinary school. The difference between nonaccredited and accredited is that nonaccredited (with the exception of ROSS, and maybe soon -- SGU) is not federally backed. You have to take out private loans. At the end of three years here on the island wth SGU, you go back to one of the States schools for your fourth clinical year. Before you leave, you can take a test called the PAVE. Which is like the ECFVG but is a lot cheaper and the clinical portion of the test is considered your fourth year in clinicals. The downside of the PAVE is that it's not accepted in every State like the ECFVG is. The ECFVG is significantly more expensive and is a three day test.

You still have to take the NAVLE like any other Veterinary student in the US.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love SGU, I don't have any regrets!

Wich test do you recommend me to take between PAVE and ECFVG , since I'll need either one for the California license.I know PAVE is cheaper , but each one would be less difficult to obtain?

Hi, I am a former SGU student but have just transferred to OSU. Most students just take the PAVE. It is much cheaper and accepted in something like 28 of the states now, with new states being added each year. The pave is a written exam that can be taken anytime after your 4th term of vet school. If you pass the written portion of the PAVE prior to your clinical rotations, the exam committee will then consider your clinical rotations as your practicle part of the exam. If you do not pass the PAVE prior to graduation, you can still take the PAVE instead of the ECFVG, but you then have to do another year of clinics (this is what I was told but have not researched it). The PAVE seems to be a much cheaper and easier test and students seem to prefer this route first. I think almost 100% of US Students take the PAVE at SGU, and if they decided to go to a non-pave state later in life you can always then take the ECFVG. Since I have the floor, I just want to add that I think a education at SGU and ROSS is very compariable to a state school, however at the moment private loans are a great inconvience due to the economy.