Working for/in an AAHA-accredited vs non-AAHA-accreddited SA clinic

Started by gottadvm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gottadvm

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently graduated with my DVM. I have narrowed my job search down to two clinics in the area. One is AAHA-accredited and the other is not. I feel like the mentoring in both clinics is going to be good. Does anybody have any thoughts regarding the role/value of the AAHA-accreditation in deciding on a potential first GP job out of vet school? Thanks so much for any insights.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look at the clinic, not the certification: I've known more than a few AAHA clinics that aren't run well and barely meet standards, and I've known lots of non-AAHA clinics that are great clinics - well managed, great staff, good quality of medicine - who've chosen not to get AAHA certification. Essentially: AAHA certification doesn't mean it's a good clinic to work for; it doesn't even mean it practices good quality medicine.