Working for/in an AAHA-accredited vs non-AAHA-accreddited SA clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottadvm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with my DVM. I have narrowed my job search down to two clinics in the area. One is AAHA-accredited and the other is not. I feel like the mentoring in both clinics is going to be good. Does anybody have any thoughts regarding the role/value of the AAHA-accreditation in deciding on a potential first GP job out of vet school? Thanks so much for any insights.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone in an AAHA accredited hospital, I don't think it matters. You can follow the standards without being accredited.

Reactions: 1 users
Some hospitals also don’t go for the accreditation because it can be expensive and they would rather spend the money elsewhere in their clinic. Some clinics *could* be accredited based on how they practice, but just don’t choose to pursue the actual title.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the clinic, not the certification: I've known more than a few AAHA clinics that aren't run well and barely meet standards, and I've known lots of non-AAHA clinics that are great clinics - well managed, great staff, good quality of medicine - who've chosen not to get AAHA certification. Essentially: AAHA certification doesn't mean it's a good clinic to work for; it doesn't even mean it practices good quality medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t base my decision solely on that, but absolutely visit the clinics and get a feel for their quality of medicine. Neither of my SA jobs were AAHA accredited hospitals but my second job was leagues ahead of the first when it came to quality of medicine. You should be able to get a decent feel for that if you shadow for a day.

Reactions: 1 users