Ecg Basics Help

Started by lookleft
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookleft

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm trying to learn the basics in reading ecg's. My biggest problem is that I don't know what is normal in each lead. For example should xwave be upright or down in xlead, etc.

I've searched a number of texts and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find these answers.

Can someone please help, and tell me what normal morphology is for the pwave, qrs complex, t wave, etc for each lead.

Thank You very much
 
Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" is a great primer book for this.

All texts, though, should at least show you a "normal" tracing!

Edit: I see that you're a finishing MS-IV. Did you get any recommendations on interpretation basics during your MS-III IM rotation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm trying to learn the basics in reading ecg's. My biggest problem is that I don't know what is normal in each lead. For example should xwave be upright or down in xlead, etc.

I've searched a number of texts and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find these answers.

Can someone please help, and tell me what normal morphology is for the pwave, qrs complex, t wave, etc for each lead.

Thank You very much


Uhh, well, there's alot of variations of normal on an EKG. Inverted T-waves are not considered normal in any lead by aVR and V1.

Trying to establish a picture of what a "normal" lead should look like for each of the 12 is not a very good way of looking at an electrocardiogram. I'm not trying to be insulting, just pointing out it is a very nuanced test.
 
Cross posted thread and now closing. If you want to respond, go to the one in IM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.