1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ecg Basics Help

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by lookleft, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lookleft

lookleft Member
    10+ Year Member

So I'm trying to learn the basics in reading ecg's. My biggest problem is that I don't know what is normal in each lead. For example should xwave be upright or down in xlead, etc.

I've searched a number of texts and maybe I'm missing something but I can't find these answers.

Can someone please help, and tell me what normal morphology is for the pwave, qrs complex, t wave, etc for each lead.

Thank You very much

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" is a great primer book for this.

All texts, though, should at least show you a "normal" tracing!

Edit: I see that you're a finishing MS-IV. Did you get any recommendations on interpretation basics during your MS-III IM rotation?

4. Also, please don't cross-post this topic in four separate forums.

5. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Uhh, well, there's alot of variations of normal on an EKG. Inverted T-waves are not considered normal in any lead by aVR and V1.

Trying to establish a picture of what a "normal" lead should look like for each of the 12 is not a very good way of looking at an electrocardiogram. I'm not trying to be insulting, just pointing out it is a very nuanced test.

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cross posted thread and now closing. If you want to respond, go to the one in IM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.