Echo Boards 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took and passed (barely) the echo boards 7/2017.

The resource that I found most helpful for physics was actually Bonita Anderson: Normal Echocardiographic exam. It has examples and problems to work through within the chapters much like an actual physics book.

I agree with the Mayo and/or the ASE videos.
I used both of Otto's books as well as Klein.
Sorrell also has a question book I found helpful.
ASE actually puts out a book that is decent as well.

Good luck this year everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Notes attached

Attachments

• 025_Edelman_Basic-Ultrasound-Physics.pdf
    850 KB · Views: 289
Hi everyone,
May be a stupid question but where is everyone getting the Mayo or ASE videos? Can one buy the videos online? I can't seem to find it

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job bigtymer. That's a great score. It seems that you studied really hard. You deserve it.
I also passed echo boards last year, though not with such flying colors. The important things to know about the echo boards are:
1) harder exam with lower pass rate than other cardiology exams (nuclear boards, general cardiology boards)
2) it's really not "mandatory" for the vast majority of jobs so failing it is not the end of the world and you can also retake it the next year if you fail. The ASE lets just about anyone sit for the exam but only a cardiologist with at least Level II echo training can call himself/herself "board certified). I do think with the current fairly competitive job market in a lot of areas, it is a good idea to take the exam if you plan to do noninvasive cardiology. If you want to do EP or interventional or CHF, IMHO it's not really necessary, but if you want to take it, go for it. If you want to do academic practice then a lot of the people do take/have taken the echo boards - if you aren't going to be an imaging/echo attending per se, then taking it may be more of an ego thing than a real necessity (academic attendings who are not "echo people" feel free to correct me).
3) I agree w/the comments above, need to study for 2-3 months, ideally. I don't think you need to study all that bigtymer did to just pass the exam, though of course it's laudable. If your program is not strong on congenital stuff, be sure to review the basics of that (i.e. what ventricular septal defects of certain types, and other congenital heart defects, look like on transthoracic echo and TEE). I used both the Klein question book and the Sorrell question book and they were both helpful, though if I had to pick just one I would probably pick Klein. I went through those one time each and then reviewed some of the questions I'd missed again. I own Feigenbaum textbook (have the Oh one but have never liked it b/c I feel like it's too superficial for me to "get it" about important concepts) and did some reviewing from there, especially on questions or concepts I didn't find clear. Just doing these things, I passed the exam with a decent margin, but definitely didn't set the world on fire. If you're a decent test taker, you can probably pass just doing this if your program has pretty good echo training. If you are busy or you have small kid(s), or are in a brutal fellowship this may be all you have time to do. In retrospect I think I could have benefited from more physics review. So, maybe do the 2 questions books I did, and then cram with the physics book recommended by others above.... It's great to study more if you have time, though. I do think the test has a lot of esoteric stuff on it, and I don't think a lot of the test has much to do with day to day skills you need to read echo in the community, but studying for it did make me smarter.

Hi everyone!
How was the boards exams today? I thought it was pretty detailed, lots of congenitals and calculations, physics included.
Overall, pretty unpredictable exam. Need to know your stuff inside out, no short-cuts here!
Hope I can pass this exam.

It was hard. Walked out feeling terrible. Numerous questions I don’t think I could have answered if I studied even two more weeks longer. Crappy quality echo images. Difficult congenital questions including some diagnoses I don’t think were on previous exams. Don’t really feel like anything was truly “high yield” for this test wrt study material. Overall I agree, really hoping I pass.

Done. Def.very difficult exam. I studied klien, ase video, edelman -
lots of physics, congenital, valves. Many questions series like Kleine were you have 3-4 questions and if you mess up in first, you get all wrong.
Overall exam was difficult than questions in Klien. I do not know how else could i improve if i fail.

I took the ASCeXAM 2018 and I share the same feelings with you guys and hope we all gonna pass ..Any news about the results ?

Results came out today.

Passed! Healthy margin. I felt awful walking out of the exam but thankfully did fine (well above what appears to be the minimum passing score).

I felt reasonably well prepared for congenital, valve (lots of prosthetic stuff), stress, and other basic clinical echo stuff, such as recognizing appropriate views, optimizing images, etc. Decent amount of physics, which I would say I got a solid amount wrong just because I didn’t understand the wording of the question. Lots of hemodynamics. Some gimme questions (equations, “what is this”, etc).

I thought Klein was helpful, ASE practice questions, and ASE videos. Edelman’s document is fine I suppose, although probably not enough for a deeper understanding of the physics. Ultimately the issue that still arises is that the NBE is the one that makes the exam, and the ASE tries to “predict” what’s on it - some hits, some misses, but mostly hits.

I’m just glad I didn’t fail!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to share my experiences. I thought it was a very difficult exam.

I am at a clinically busy fellowship program with little emphasis on academics. I barely passed. It seems you needed to score above 25-30% percentile to pass.

I did Klein questions x 2, reviewed mayo videos once and ASE questions once. Edelman’s physics was very helpful. I studied about 3 to 4 hours a day for two months before the exam. Good luck for the future test takers.

Wanted to add a little about how I studied
- during rotation downtime for three months prior (usually 1/2 hour to 1 hour per day) would watch ASE vids and take notes
- Klein practice questions during same downtime
- Last month prior to test, dedicated studying for several hours a day (4-6) on a light rotation
- did not watch the Mayo videos

Things in exam I noticed
- there was a question on structural TEE - something about a Watchman. As this becomes more clinically important I suspect this will become more common
- there were a lot of questions which had you identify things from a still frame. I find this galling since IRL we NEVER use just one frame or a still picture to judge what we are seeing. The echo image quality was awful too in many instances
- make sure you understand the hemodynamics and their nuances inside and out. There were at least 10-15 questions on this alone. Lot of valve quantitation too - ERO calculation, determining what is the largest RVol, calculating a Qp/Qs, an AVA, etc

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to share my experience and my stats because when studying for this exam, i didn't know what I should be scoring on Klein, or ASE practice exams and such.
It's not a bad exam if you give yourself enough time to prepare.

Items used:
Mayo Vids (must)
ASE Vids (not really needed)
Klein (MUST)
Edelman Pdf (very imp!!)
ASE Practice exam

I watched videos and took notes starting mid-third year in general fellowship. Gradually got through it. By June, I started doing Klein. I advise that you take notes on concepts you get wrong. I was averaging around 60%-70% on Klein. There are some chapters that are harder than others and ended up getting 50%. Read through Edelman's physics pdf. Recommend doing the congenital, valve area calculations and Doppler (physics) chapters again when getting close to the exam date.

Did the ASE practice exam. Average around 75-80% on both exams.

Regarding physics, Klein physics + the pdf from Edelman is all you need to do well on the physics portion of the actual exam. No need to buy other materials, in my opinion. I ended up buying some online echo physics by ESP and I didn't think it was worth it at all.

The actual exam wasn't too bad. There were questions where you knew the answer immediately and others you wouldn't get right even if you have two more months to study (especially some of the absurd physics questions). Know how to do the hemodynamics calculations well and efficiently (ERO, AVA e.t.c). Images are of okay quality.

Not sure if i read the percentile table correctly but I think the pass rate for this year was a little lower than 80%.
Ended up getting 78% on the actual boards with the above study formula. I think if you get >60ish% correct on the actual board exams you will pass (anecdote).
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone took echo boards this year? (July 22, 2019).
How do you think the exam was? I felt pretty low after this test yesterday. I think I prepared fairly well but there was so much esoteric stuff that it boggled my brains!

Anyone took echo boards this year? (July 22, 2019).
How do you think the exam was? I felt pretty low after this test yesterday. I think I prepared fairly well but there was so much esoteric stuff that it boggled my brains!
I took echo boards this year. I totally agree with you!! Very esoteric questions and too many nonclinical questions!!

I passed too with a great score! Didn't expect that

Passed a brutal exam...done!!!
My heart almost stopped for few seconds until I opened the result!!!

Unfortunately I did not pass :(
I’m going for HF fellowship .. definitely I will not take this test again .. I’m level 2 already and having the board will not make a really big difference. What do u think?

Unless you are gonna read echos at a major academic center, boards dont matter in my opinion.
Unfortunately I did not pass :(
I’m going for HF fellowship .. definitely I will not take this test again .. I’m level 2 already and having the board will not make a really big difference. What do u think?