Econ as math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since econ is very math intesive, anyone think its o.k. to classify it as math?

I know UCLA counts it as a math class in fulfilling math prereq.

What about accounting/management?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by an advisor that if it's not specifically noted anywhere that as long as it's math extensively oriented then put it as Math.... then again, that's an opinion of but one person....

Anyone know the exact answer to this?

Yes, the definition of "math" is based on the content, not the title of the course. In a similar way "physical anthropology" is biology, cultural anthropology not, although it could be argued that culture is also a biological trait.

If stretched far enough, although not advisable, everything in a college curriculum is biological or science because the subject matter is all based on human behavior and experience, including the plays of Shakespeare, linguistics, music, art, economics, philosophy, history, even accounting--you name it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are really pushing your luck on this one. BCPM, means Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. If you look at the help function on AMCAS under course info, you will find that they are very specific as to what classes qualify and those that do not towards science classes.

In addition, I should say that I find it very insulting that you would attempt to pass off classes that you know really aren't science courses, just to pad your GPA. Look at this way--had you gotten C- in these courses, would you be arguing to get them in, or would you flip the script just as quick. You should run a check and have some honor and backbone.

If you want to enter into this noble profession, then start by acting like it. Don't sell yourself on this "do anything to get into medical school and then I can be a great person" Be someone of character and integrity. Let your application speak for itself--don't try and finagle your way in--ultimately you will be the upset ones.

Peace

well put MD-bound, by science and math courses, I think they mean courses that most/all premeds take, thus making the class more competitive than other college classes. Lets all be honest here, by stretching these terms to econ, anthro, and psych, it makes a student look like he is trying to pad his GPA's with classes that are notoriously grade inflated and easier. Stick to classes that are offered from your bio, chem, physics, and math departments.

on another point, if you are attempting to do this, you should make sure to okay it from AMCAS. If you don't and submit it with econ as math, you run the risk of them rejecting your calculations and delaying your application.

Other than econometrics and statistics, i don't think econ courses are pure math as AMCAS defined them to be. But if you want to try, be my guest.

Neel

Even though econ is math intensive, I think it is NOT a BCPM. That is too far of a stretch and NOT what AMCAS intended.

i agree with mdbound and the others. If you can put econ as math, then why shouldn't cultural anthropology be as well, in which i'm sure you learn some stuff about carbon dating and calculating how old a bone is. And just because a course is math intensive doesn't qualify it as a math class. In addition, MANY engineering classes would be "science" classes, but they are clearly not classified as such (there's a separate category for engineering classes I believe). In any case, your best bet is to classify the course under what department teaches it. Why? No ambiguity and AMCAS won't complain and delay your application.

Econ is not math, it's actually listed in the AMCAS help directory, and they call it social analysis.

Anyhow, about MDBound's reply:

If you want to enter into this noble profession, then start by acting like it. Don't sell yourself on this "do anything to get into medical school and then I can be a great person" Be someone of character and integrity. Let your application speak for itself--don't try and finagle your way in--ultimately you will be the upset ones.

I agree completely. My biggest pet peave is overly competitive pre-meds who cut every corner they can just to look better on paper.

However, if econ could be considered a math class, and I happened to get an "A" in it. There's no doubt it would be in my BCPM GPA.
As I doubt it wouldn't be in yours. I was just asking a question cause I wasn't sure. Afterall, the entire class is devoted to calculations and graphs. Sounds like "Social Analysis" to me.

p.s. please don't imply I'm not a great person again, I'm very senistive you know. ;)

econ should be listed as an AO course, not BCPM.

in the help section, they have a comprehensive list of major academic areas and what category to place them under. Since Econ is clearly listed in a non-BCPM category, it would be dishonest to place an Econ course under math. plus you are probably screwing yourself over, since AMCAS checks all the transcripts and decides if your categorizations are legit.

Ohright so I'll bite TwoSteveSquared:

Here's the deal. You come on and ask "Since econ is very math intesive, anyone think its o.k. to classify it as math? I know UCLA counts it as a math class in fulfilling math prereq. What about accounting/management?"

I think from everyone's replies and the fact that we have both looked it up on the AMCAS web-site you know the answer to your question--Econ is not a part of the BCPM, as you indicated in your reply.

As for me, yes I got A's in all of my econ classes--perhaps I should have gone into business. However, I never even considered padding my GPA with my non-science courses. Your insinuation that I would include non-BCPM courses in my science GPA if I had received grades similar to yours simply to give me the edge is not a correct one. That was your move.

In regards to the "not great person comment," it was made more in reference to the attitude that many pre-meds take towards getting into medical school and even once they are there. I think very highly of this profession and have sacrificed too much, as everyone else, to stand by and constantly watch people who are looking to stroke their ego enter it and quite simply make it foul. I am not saying that this is your motive or intention--I don't know you, just as you do not know me.

But from the response you made it seems that your intention was to stretch the rules, so that they would put your application in a better light. You were only looking for validation and perhaps support. So I apologize if you are sensitive, but perhaps in the future it would not be a poor move to consider just what it is that you are asking.

Now hopefully, this won't continue in a pissing match as so many of the threads on this bulletin board. In fact, I think I have said enough and hope that you will take some time and think about the ideas I have attepted to convey, because that was my intention, to make you think, not engage you in childish babble.

I hope that we can someday be proud colleagues, not bitter practitioners.

Peace

I go to UCLA.....and I have taken econ....but no one considers Econ as math, that is such a stretch....

just because you dealth with formulas and graphs that doesnt constitute econ as math...if that is the case, then biochemistry should be also considered math, since we deal with formulas and graphs, and calculations.... :D

sorry don't mean to be sarcastic, but UCLA might use Econ to satisfy some "math requirements" because they are generous...I doubt anyone else classifies econ as a math class....with that kind of logic, one would also be able to classify Econ and physiological science classes as an english class, cuz sometimes we write "essays" in class :D ;)

on a lighter note, i heard that Amcas is not too picky, and you can play around with it. Worst comes to worst, if they don't agree with you, they will change the classification...so do what you please ;)

I understand that it can be hard to classify certain classes into categories when they are in the "gray zone", so to speak. Having been a Psychology major as an undergrad, I had a similar problem, since many of the courses I took seemed to have a lot of cross-over between biology and psychology. I think a good solution to this is to see if the course you're considering in an outside department could realistically be a course that is instead offered by your Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math dept. In my case, I included Neurobiology, Biologic Bases of Behavior, and Statistics in BCPM-- all of these courses were offered by the psych dept. This list was also accepted by AMCAS. There were a lot of courses that I left out that still had plenty of relevence to biology, but not enough.

However, although general economics includes a lot of math, it would not realistically be taught by a math department. General economics is very specific to economics, and is considered an introduction to a social science. Therefore, I would not consider economics a BCPM course.

I hope that made sense -- it's past my bedtime. :D

UCLA Med school counts Econ as a math course as part of fulfilling your admissions requirement. However, it is not part of BCPM as far as AMCAS is concerned.