Economic Hardship approved as a 2009 grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unimaginative

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I am currently trying to get my wife's loans in order and was curious about the following two questions.

Here is the situation.

My wife's (PGY1) loans have now come into repayment in full force, i.e. monthly payment totals around $1,200 with more to come. Her income is $2,990 per month. Almost everything was unfortunately in the grace period until just recently so we were unable to file before July 1, 2009.

My questions are as follows:

1. Whether any recent grads have been able to qualify under the old rules for economic hardship deferment, i.e. before July 1, 2009. I spoke with a few fin aid counselers at the various lenders and they said that I might want to try to submit the forms with a date when my wife started residency i.e. prior to July 1, 2009 and see if that worked even though the loans only recently came into repayment. Has anyone tried this with success?

2. Has anyone been able to qualify for economic hardship deferment under the new rules? If so can you please explain which box you checked and give some idea to how the numbers worked out. There is a another thread with people saying that everyone qualified and other posts that no one did. Again I am speaking about economic hardship deferment, i.e. where the govt. continues to pay interest on the subsidized portion of the loans. Everyone in residency is eligible for forebearnce without any special considerations.

3. Does anyone know the status of the legislation that was introduced to reinstate the old economic hardship deferment rules? Okay I'll answer my own question here. Both the house bill and the senate bill never made it out of committee and therefore died during the last session of congress.

4. Is anyone using the new income based repayment program with any level of satisfaction? Are you having the govt. pay your interest on the subsidized portion of the loans?
 
Last edited:
1. I too have heard of some people qualifying by putting in a date before July 1st. Seems to be hit or miss depending on your lender. Guess there's no harm in trying.
2. I think you would have to have a family size of 4+ to qualify under the new rules with only your wife income. If you make any income at all, most likely she won't qualify. (unless of course your family is >4) If there are people who are qualifying out there they're not really sharing how they're doing it barring it being just lender specific. Then there's the question of whether consolidating loans to that lender would also qualify.
3. nuff said
4. IBR is not bad. You don't really make any gain on the principle of the loan. I can see this as truly beneficial for people who have a lower loan to income ratio and maybe need more guidance in making loan payments. I believe you pay for your interests on all loans even in IBR so most end up deferring since you'll be paying it either way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You cannot defer federal loans anymore. Private loans all have lender-specific small print. You should contact your lender and read the deferment forms if you have private loans.

You didn't even answer any of the questions, why is that? Very unbecoming of a moderator...
 
I have no personal experience with the IBR as I haven't graduated yet. I did answer two of your questions by saying that deferment is no longer an option. You answered question three. The previous poster answered your last question to some degree.

In IBR your remaining sub interest is covered if your payments do not cover the full amount of sub interest for the first three years. I don't know about your situation now but you can run some calculators to see if your payment covers your sub interest and what the remaining amount would be if any. You didn't give a loan amount or any loans or income you may have. Here is an IBR calculator.
 
1. Whether any recent grads have been able to qualify under the old rules for economic hardship deferment, i.e. before July 1, 2009. I spoke with a few fin aid counselers at the various lenders and they said that I might want to try to submit the forms with a date when my wife started residency i.e. prior to July 1, 2009 and see if that worked even though the loans only recently came into repayment. Has anyone tried this with success?

Try this, it's worth it...
 
Would you care to share which lenders you have? I tried this and it didn't work with any of my lenders.
 
I am about to graduate and have been looking into this a lot. Instead of deferment, they now have "mandatory forebearance" where the lender (US gov't) has to allow you to put your loans into forebearance without any adverse effects on your credit. You could then make payments on the interest as you see fit. Obviously the only disadvantage to this vs IBR is that the gov't won't pay the subsidized interest as they do in IBR for 3 years. You income plus your wife's income gets figured into IBR if you are married and file joint tax returns because your tax return is how they determine your IBR payment.

FUN STUFF!!!
 
I am about to graduate and have been looking into this a lot. Instead of deferment, they now have "mandatory forebearance" where the lender (US gov't) has to allow you to put your loans into forebearance without any adverse effects on your credit. You could then make payments on the interest as you see fit. Obviously the only disadvantage to this vs IBR is that the gov't won't pay the subsidized interest as they do in IBR for 3 years. You income plus your wife's income gets figured into IBR if you are married and file joint tax returns because your tax return is how they determine your IBR payment.

FUN STUFF!!!

Eco hardship is much preferred to IBR. If you are about to graduate you will not be able to apply for Eco hardship under the old rules. IBR is really too new for any worthwhile experience to have been generated. When you call the lenders they don't really know anything about it.