ECs and such

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm aware of shadowing (getting that set up), and volunteering at clinics and labs, but what other kinds of ECs to med schools look at?

I'm wanting ways to show leadership experience. Joining premedical clubs and doing service work perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

Premed clubs are worthless unless you are some kind of leader. Most premeds join premed clubs to add to their app and don't do anything, so they have kind of ruined it for people who use it for a purpose. Do you have any supervisor experience? Can you run for lead positions within any clubs? Any situations where you can train people?

Non clinical volunteering is great to as it shows you what you are passionate about and that you are not just checking a box on your app. Research is always good, but it isn't for everyone. Being involved in anything really. Working is good. Basically, anything that shows you care about others and that you have a life outside of medicine.

Random stuff too, to set yourself apart. I'm planning on putting down my stonemasonry hobby as well as my siege artillery design and construction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've considered starting a club or two and working on being a leader in others.

And that's not a horrible idea. I didn't think of that. Planning on playing some rugby when I get back to school, so I think that'd be a nice start to set myself apart.

It's not what you do, but how you spin it when it counts. You can do a very common activity, something simple, but then when you write your essay or talk about it during your interviews, tell a compelling story related to that activity, something that reveals your emotional depth or your humor or your unique way of seeing the world.

Lots and lots of premed students are EMT-basics by the time they apply to medschool. It's a common thing to do these days. So when it came time to write my essay, I wrote about a patient that was memorable to me and would be to the adcoms, a constipated guy who had tried to unimpact himself using a fork, and had lacerated his rectal vessels in doing so. I'll never forget my fellow EMT asking the patient, perfectly politely, "Sir, if you were going to attempt to unimpact yourself at home, why not use a spoon?"

It was a funny, slightly gross story but I know it made me stand out and ultimately the strategy worked.

I agree for sure with the above poster. It's how you spin it that matters. The adcom is not going to overanalyze what clubs you were a part of.

If you want leadership, one way to do it is to join habitat for humanity and then become a crew leader. This is not particularly unique and takes a bit of commitment to get to that level, but you can be humanitarian and a leader.