What ECs are expected for non-traditional students? If my ECs are mainly prior to my postbacc, does that harm my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcvb3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I feel like there’s such a large range of what people are recommending as EC advice across various websites.

For background:

I have a degree in a medical related field (biomedical engineering), and a relatively low GPA (3.2, which counts as graduating with honors for my school as it is an engineering school.) I am in the middle of taking a 2yr science classes only postbacc with a 4.0 so far.

Prior to my postbacc I worked full time for the CDC in a respiratory clinic in a small US territory as a public health advisor for 2 yrs. I had a lot of really interesting experiences in that role. I worked heavily with the prison and homeless population of the island, and a main component of my job was giving medication to people through DOT. I saw a lot of tropical diseases not common in the US i.e. Hansen’s disease. I think this is a very strong EC for my application, but I haven’t been able to secure any equally interesting ones.

Now that I’m taking classes full time, I have less time for ECs. I do have a part time scribing job, but not many hours with them; I only have 70ish hours so far because they hired me and then waited like 4 mo to put me on the floor. I also have 50ish hours on the crisis hotline. I hope to reach about 200 hours each before the next application cycle.

My original plan was to take the MCAT in February and apply this cycle. Would I have supplemented my application enough by that time period, or would it be better to wait for the application cycle after to secure more hours/volunteering? Is there anything important I’m missing to supplement my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools will want:
150 hrs+ of clinical exposure (paid or volunteer)
150+ of nonclinical volunteering
50ish hours of clinician shadowing

Take the MCAT only when you are 100% ready for it.

Med schools will want:
150 hrs+ of clinical exposure (paid or volunteer)
150+ of nonclinical volunteering
50ish hours of clinician shadowing

Take the MCAT only when you are 100% ready for it.
I can definitely reach that. How important is shadowing? The premed advisor from my school basically told me that it’s not worth doing for people with significant clinical experience. But I definitely want to pursue anything that would increase my odds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can definitely reach that. How important is shadowing? The premed advisor from my school basically told me that it’s not worth doing for people with significant clinical experience. But I definitely want to pursue anything that would increase my odds.
Shadowing is needed because you need to know what a doctor's day is like.

Clinical experience is for showing that you know what you're getting into.

It is hard but doable. I worked two jobs supporting my family and volunteered 4 hours a week at a local hospital. I did that for three years while taking 2-3 courses per semester plus labs. It was a lot of work but it paid off. I now have an acceptance early in the cycle and I am really happy about where I am. I took an extra year though before applying to study for and take the MCAT (I had to take it twice) and I spent that year not taking classes, but volunteering more, getting shadowing hours, etc. When I applied I had 300+ hours of clinical volunteering, 50 hours of shadowing, an upward trend on my MCAT but still not a brainiac score. And it was all enough to get in. You can do this. Your age and non-traditional background is a huge asset in the application process I am finding.

Reactions: 1 user
It is hard but doable. I worked two jobs supporting my family and volunteered 4 hours a week at a local hospital. I did that for three years while taking 2-3 courses per semester plus labs. It was a lot of work but it paid off. I now have an acceptance early in the cycle and I am really happy about where I am. I took an extra year though before applying to study for and take the MCAT (I had to take it twice) and I spent that year not taking classes, but volunteering more, getting shadowing hours, etc. When I applied I had 300+ hours of clinical volunteering, 50 hours of shadowing, an upward trend on my MCAT but still not a brainiac score. And it was all enough to get in. You can do this. Your age and non-traditional background is a huge asset in the application process I am finding.
Hello I'm in a very similar as how you were, do you mind if I message you about how you picked/managed the classes and MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user