ECs in college- should I focus on being impressive, or community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oopsiedoopsie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a musician going to college (premed) and I hope to continue playing. I wanted to ask about what direction my extracurriculars could take - community service, or focusing on being impressive?

For example, in terms of being impressive: minoring in music, trying to get awards/competitions, performing as soloist at university orchestra, getting formal lessons.

In terms of community service: teaching others music for free, performing at hospitals, or maybe doing music therapy at nursing homes?

Or should my extracurriculars be a mix of both?

Members don't see this ad.

You're one person and only have so much time. I'd keep up with the music to the extent that's fulfilling to you personally. In terms of your med school application, focus on community service and clinical experience (either volunteer or paid is good).

Reactions: 1 users
You're one person and only have so much time. I'd keep up with the music to the extent that's fulfilling to you personally. In terms of your med school application, focus on community service and clinical experience (either volunteer or paid is good).
thank you so much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need the community service and clinical experiences and shadowing for your med school application. But it’s not an either /or situation. Of course continue doing music too.

Reactions: 4 users
Why not do both? Only you can decide if you are able to juggle many things at once.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd recommend whatever you do, you get outside the comfort of the college campus bubble and volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) in underserved areas with people unlike yourself. That, I think, goes a long way in helping your application and also helping you decide if you really want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
Community service that impresses adcoms. How will you tie winning music competitions to medical school applications?

Reactions: 1 user
If you love music, keep doing that for you. My fondest college memories are of the performing arts ECs I did because I loved them, not because i thought they would get me into med school. They made me a more well rounded and interesting person, and kept me sane in med school as I was able to use them as a creative outlet.

Reactions: 3 users
For example, in terms of being impressive: minoring in music, trying to get awards/competitions, performing as soloist at university orchestra, getting formal lessons.
I do not find any of these activities to be impressive in and of themselves. You can certainly combine your love for music and medicine by performing as a volunteer in a hospital, hospice, or nursing facility. This type of volunteering is usually greatly appreciated by patients.

You should pursue what brings you fulfillment, but if your ultimate goal is to become a physician, training to become a soloist should not be done at the expense of accumulating other more requisite experiences, e.g. clinical experience, volunteering, research (if you are aiming for research powerhouses), etc. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 6 users
I’d say get as many clinical experience as possible, while pursuing the other two at moderate levels.