Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

EC's/Volunteering/Clinical Experience

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Thales, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Thales

Thales C8H10N4O2
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I'm challenging the CNA test at some point this month with the plan of gaining clinical experience working part time in that capacity. I've just finished all of my paperwork to volunteer with a local hospice in "11th Hour", basically spending time with terminal residents who are in the process of passing away. I'm trying to ensure I get as well rounded as possible when it comes to EC's and experience, but I'm curious about a few things.

1) Would personal hobbies that I pursue like scuba diving, jiujutsu, and long-distance/marathon running be beneficial to my eventual application?

2) What can I do as a pre-med/psychology student at a smaller school to gain research experience? Is lack of research experience an application killer?

3) Is the best way to find a doctor to shadow simply cold calling? I don't have a GP right now, and I'm more interested in emergency medicine and infectious disease, do I just call around and ask if I can shadow?

I utilized the search function and found some vague answers that only partially answered some of my questions. Any answers or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aviendhae

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I am also very very interested in these answers. Specifically on how to go about shadowing.

4. hitchhiker

2+ Year Member

i'm at an average uni, and was able to get in a clinical/research class where I'm at the hospital. Ask your advisor about programs like that, you would be surprised what kinds of connections they have. Even when the class was over, i'm able to walk in the door and continue doing volunteer research

biggest thing is choose things you want to do, whether it's CNA or going down to the VA clinic every week. Long term commitments are best imo

5. Ellipsis1104

5+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    As to your research question: ask your science professors if they are working on something for which they'd like some free labor. If they are not actively working on something, they may know someone who is. I once got a research hook-up through my bio prof's husband who is a virologist.

#4 Ellipsis1104, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  6. Thales

Thales C8H10N4O2
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I actually took a 40 hour course nearby that was pretty thorough. On the Florida Board of Nursing CNA site there are links to some materials explaining the testing process, a practice test, and other helpful resources. To be honest the CNA test looks ridiculously easy, just a matter of following the right steps and minding resident/patient safety, comfort, and dignity. I'm just waiting to get my Level 2 background check back and then I'll have my date for the test, then I'm hoping to work in the Alzheimer's ward at a small hospice nearby.

7. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1) Of course, it shows how well rounded of an applicant you are. Research isn't necessary for medical school. That being said, most applicants have researched in one form or another. So, you need to have a strong application to offset your "weakness".

2) I'm sure your school has some research opportunities. If not, look at schools nearby or for a summer internships. PI's love volunteers...I don't know of any that would reject free labor.

3) No, cold calling is a terrible idea. Most hospitals nowadays have strict rules about shadowing. First, try to find a doctor that is close to you or the family (try your pediatrician or maybe a family friend who is a physician). I found most of my shadowing experience by family acquaintances. If you don't know any doctors, then try to find a random volunteer position at a hospital (hopefully it is a position you like. This volunteer experience can also count toward your clinical experience...killing two birds with one stone). Once you get past HR with your health screening, background check, and HIPAA training, email doctors at that hospital and they will be more than willing to take you.

SDNers just get pissed when people make threads and they clearly haven't tried to do any research themselves (like what sections are on the MCAT). We are all more than willing to answer questions that are personal or unique.

8. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
  9. Buttermilk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical