EC’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcedOchem

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to which EC’s I should have the most hours in. For example- do medical schools want to see applicants with more shadowing experience than research experience? Do they think it is important to have non-clinical volunteer hours on my app or do they mostly care to see clinical hours over anything? I’m kinda confused on the whole thing and with a mix of the pandemic going on and mediocre advisors I’ve only been able to do virtual shadowing experiences and have no idea what I’m doing. Welcome any and all feedback, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you spent any time reading the WAMC threads. If not you should . It will give you a look into what other preapplicants are doing and how they are spending their time. But roughly speaking: about 80% of applicants have research but interestingly research isn’t that high up on the expected EC list. On the other hand the expected ECs are about 50 hours of shadowing, including a good bit with a primary care doctor. You’ll also need 200+ hours of clinical experiences with direct patient contact. This can be either volunteer or paid. And it is not shadowing.(Shadowing is passive ,clinical experience is active.) you’ll also need 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering. This volunteering should focus on the unserved/underserved in your community- those less fortunate than yourself. Medicine is a service profession so you need to be able to show your altruism to the ADCOMS. All of these are rough estimates. It’s important that you do work that you are passionate about so you are able to translate that passion to your applications and in interviews. Do something that impacts you and makes you stand out among the thousands of other applicants. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you spent any time reading the WAMC threads. If not you should . It will give you a look into what other preapplicants are doing and how they are spending their time. But roughly speaking: about 80% of applicants have research but interestingly research isn’t that high up on the e petted EC list. On the other hand they expected ECs are about 50 hours of shadowing, including a good bit with a primary care doctor. You’ll also need 200+ hours of clinical experiences with direct patient contact. This can be either volunteer or paid. And it is not shadowing.(Shadowing is passive ,clinical experience is active.) you’ll also need 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering. This volunteering should focus on the unserved/underserved in your community- those less fortunate than yourself. Medicine is a service profession so you need to be able to show your altruism to the ADCOMS. All of these are rough estimates. It’s important that you do work that you are passionate about so you are able to translate that passion to your applications and in interviews. Do something that impacts you and makes you stand out among the thousands of other applicants. Good luck.
Any volunteering recommendations during covid? I won't turn down opportunities (other than using my own car to make deliveries- too costly for me) but there simply are far fewer of them. The crisis text line says they have enough volunteers, the foodbank literally has a waitlist to volunteer...many in-person volunteering opportunities have ceased

Any volunteering recommendations during covid? I won't turn down opportunities (other than using my own car to make deliveries- too costly for me) but there simply are far fewer of them. The crisis text line says they have enough volunteers, the foodbank literally has a waitlist to volunteer...many in-person volunteering opportunities have ceased
You might just have to wait until the Covid restrictions ease up. Whenever that happens. But if you have applied for opportunities and are on various waitlists, hopefully you’ll be contacted when they are taking volunteers again.

Reactions: 1 user