1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ECs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCLAstudent, Sep 25, 2002.

1. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I need advice regarding extracurricular activities. I am currently a sophomore in college. I volunteer every week at the UCLA Medical Center in the children's play area. This summer, I am going to both volunteer at and do research at Loma Linda University Medical Center. That being said, I am considering doing something this year in addition to my volunteering at the hospital. However, I am kind of hesitant... is it worth it to possibly hurt my grades a little for building up my resume?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My suggestion is to not spread yourself too thin. It seems as if you have good ECs already and taking on more may adversely affect your grades. It's better to have both good grades and ECs than great ECs and worse grades as a result of those extra ECs. I wouldn't risk it...unless you are sure you can still perform at the same level as in the past.

good luck

4. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I agree with dpark. Grades are more important than ECs. Do a couple that mean something to you but don't go too overboard. Make sure you are spending time to have fun too. College is a great time, and once its over, its over. Your life will change. Live it up, responsibly.