1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ec's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Iain, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Iain

Iain Semental Blanco
    7+ Year Member

The Uni I am currently at (I am studying business, and planning on doing a post-bacc at a later date) does not have any multilateral clubs (they are all based on nationality or religion), which has left me very weak in the EC area. Currently all I have is: training charity dogs (stopped due to one becoming a permanent member of the family; he failed), member of a national investment club, and have a pilots license. I will start volunteering in a hospital when I move back to Socal (under 9 weeks now; WAHOO!), and when I start my post-bacc (approximately 18 months) I plan to join some Uni clubs that take my interest. I was interested in hearing your suggestions, that are either fun or looked upon favourably on the application.
    Thanks All!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you guys think most schools prefer these to the capitalist dogs?

I know, I know, I'll do a search...

4. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Anything related to medicine is a plus. It's odd to be interested in medicine with so little exposure to it. You need to set foot in a hospital or in a clinic (preferably in good health!), especially if you're commiting yourself to many, many years of training in the medical profession. If your knowledge of medicine is based only on re-runs of ER, it suggests you haven't seriously considered medicine as a profession.

Also, I have yet to meet a business major in medical school... Most admissions committees tend to view business majors as the type who are more interested in making a buck and in stoking their ego than in delivering good patient care. You should definitely try to shed that image.

5. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

there could be something in your community, not just your school. you could try also national groups. No hospitals nearby? you could also approach physicians, and ask about volunteering/shadowing in their depatment or office.

Sonya

6. Iain

Iain Semental Blanco
    7+ Year Member

CaNEM - I hope so!!

neuromd03 - I am taking time between finishing my degree and going on the post-bacc program. In this time I plan to volunteer at a local hospital, and gain some business experience to make sure that I am making the right decision.

Sonya - I live in a small town in the UK and the closest hospital is about 13 miles away. I move back to Socal in 8 weeks 5 days 15 hours and 51 minutes (not that I am counting) and will start volunteering as soon as I get back.

Everyone Else - Any more ideas please share!!

7. uffda

uffda Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

8. Iain

Iain Semental Blanco
    7+ Year Member

^^ Thank you for that link, it is great!!

9. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

there are some volunteer things you can do by phone. I was a hotline counselor for DV cases, and it was the best volunteer experience i've done, ever. and, i only went to the actual site twice, for training.