Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
The Uni I am currently at (I am studying business, and planning on doing a post-bacc at a later date) does not have any multilateral clubs (they are all based on nationality or religion), which has left me very weak in the EC area. Currently all I have is: training charity dogs (stopped due to one becoming a permanent member of the family; he failed), member of a national investment club, and have a pilots license. I will start volunteering in a hospital when I move back to Socal (under 9 weeks now; WAHOO!), and when I start my post-bacc (approximately 18 months) I plan to join some Uni clubs that take my interest. I was interested in hearing your suggestions, that are either fun or looked upon favourably on the application.
Thanks All!!

CaNEM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Status
Originally posted by Iain
training charity dogs
Do you guys think most schools prefer these to the capitalist dogs?

I know, I know, I'll do a search...

neuromd03

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Iain
The Uni I am currently at (I am studying business, and planning on doing a post-bacc at a later date) does not have any multilateral clubs (they are all based on nationality or religion), which has left me very weak in the EC area. Currently all I have is: training charity dogs (stopped due to one becoming a permanent member of the family; he failed), member of a national investment club, and have a pilots license. I will start volunteering in a hospital when I move back to Socal (under 9 weeks now; WAHOO!), and when I start my post-bacc (approximately 18 months) I plan to join some Uni clubs that take my interest. I was interested in hearing your suggestions, that are either fun or looked upon favourably on the application.
Thanks All!!

Anything related to medicine is a plus. It's odd to be interested in medicine with so little exposure to it. You need to set foot in a hospital or in a clinic (preferably in good health!), especially if you're commiting yourself to many, many years of training in the medical profession. If your knowledge of medicine is based only on re-runs of ER, it suggests you haven't seriously considered medicine as a profession.

Also, I have yet to meet a business major in medical school... Most admissions committees tend to view business majors as the type who are more interested in making a buck and in stoking their ego than in delivering good patient care. You should definitely try to shed that image.

About the Ads
OP
I

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
CaNEM - I hope so!!

neuromd03 - I am taking time between finishing my degree and going on the post-bacc program. In this time I plan to volunteer at a local hospital, and gain some business experience to make sure that I am making the right decision.

Sonya - I live in a small town in the UK and the closest hospital is about 13 miles away. I move back to Socal in 8 weeks 5 days 15 hours and 51 minutes (not that I am counting) and will start volunteering as soon as I get back.

Everyone Else - Any more ideas please share!!

OP
I

Iain

Semental Blanco
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2001
MA
www.IainHolmes.com
Status
^^ Thank you for that link, it is great!!

About the Ads