ECT blog post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billypilgrim37

Unstuck in Time
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks, I wanted to draw your attention to a post on a prominent feminist blog referencing a case of court-mandated ECT for which few details are provided. I think very highly of the site in general, but this may be an opportunity for a few of our forum-mates to join the discussion to dispel popular myths against ECT. Even the educated public has ridiculously paltry awareness of ECT as a legitimate tool in the practice of psychiatry.

I know nothing of the case, which apparently has garnered some attention in New York, so I have no means by which to evaluate the claims charging malfeasance. But, like you all, I do know that ECT can be a life-saving therapy in particular instances, and court involvement is sometimes necessary to deliver humane care.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy folks, I wanted to draw your attention to a post on a prominent feminist blog referencing a case of court-mandated ECT for which few details are provided. I think very highly of the site in general, but this may be an opportunity for a few of our forum-mates to join the discussion to dispel popular myths against ECT. Even the educated public has ridiculously paltry awareness of ECT as a legitimate tool in the practice of psychiatry.

I know nothing of the case, which apparently has garnered some attention in New York, so I have no means by which to evaluate the claims charging malfeasance. But, like you all, I do know that ECT can be a life-saving therapy in particular instances, and court involvement is sometimes necessary to deliver humane care.

You may wish to direct attention to the article in the current Psychiatric News, where Kitty Dukakis discusses her ECT experience.

Egads what an ill-informed, alarmist article. (the first one, not OPD's)

Regarding the latter, there's a documentary based on her book called Shock. One of the patients from the movie came in for maintenence treatment last week and is doing great :)

As with anything on the internet, it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Although the feminist article is quite lop-sided, I would hardly call it a mainstream publication. I'm sure there are even more bizarre articles about mental health care somewhere in the far stretches of the Web.

Dukakis' "Shock" will do much more good than the feminist article will do harm. Dukakis may get a lot of exposure if Oprah decides to invite Kitty Dukakis onto her show.