How to (Professionally) Solicit Research Collaborations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hash Slinging Slasher

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

What's the most professional way to communicate/advertise to other places that our academic psychiatry program is wanting and willing to serve as an additional clinical site for ECT or TMS clinical trials?

I graduated residency recently and am looking to build up our ECT/TMS research at our middle low-tier program (in terms of research funding). Unfortunately, due to the retirement of my senior neurostimulation colleagues, I find myself as the senior-most person on that service now. There's a listserv for ISEN ECT where people ask clinical questions, but I don't know if it would be "too forward" or an inappropriate venue to "advertise" our availability / willingness.

I'm also a nobody in the neurostimulation field, so if I ask around I'm pretty sure nobody will give a s***, but my retired colleagues' names will definitely be recognized if I name drop them when soliciting collab requests, but again I don't know if that's a professional faux pas.

Any advice how I should handle/approach this?
 
This is a very confusing post. You want non-academic clinicians to use your hospital as a research site for their trials? As an academic site...wouldn't the trials be yours or at least your system's?
 
Sorry if it was confusing. I'm an academic psychiatrist at an academic medical center that does ECT/TMS but only clinically, not quite as much for research

I'd like to collaborate with other academic medical centers on clinical trials they have by serving as a secondary clinical site for their ongoing clinical trials that they have and are looking to get more patients recruited for at other sites, which I'm hoping our medical center could be one of

Hopefully that clears things up, but let me know if there's anything that doesn't add up still
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if it was confusing. I'm an academic psychiatrist at an academic medical center that does ECT/TMS but only clinically, not quite as much for research

I'd like to collaborate with other academic medical centers on clinical trials they have by serving as a secondary clinical site for their ongoing clinical trials that they have and are looking to get more patients recruited for at other sites, which I'm hoping our medical center could be one of

Hopefully that clears things up, but let me know if there's anything that doesn't add up still
TBH I think your original post was perfectly clear.

Is there a reason that your recently retired better-known colleagues can't help provide introductions on your behalf? Are any of them emeritus status and still peripherally involved in the dept?
 
Hey everyone,

What's the most professional way to communicate/advertise to other places that our academic psychiatry program is wanting and willing to serve as an additional clinical site for ECT or TMS clinical trials?

Magnus Medical runs TMS trials nationwide. If you have research infrastructure and want to serve as a study site, perhaps you could work out a mutually beneficial arrangement.

 
Also agree that OP was pretty clear. Why not just ask in the listserv? That’s generally what they’re for, just be a clear from the start and don’t be obnoxious or spam it.
Thank so much — I might try that as a one-time solicitation for research collaborators then

I was aware of the ECT listserv but since it sends the email to everyone I wasn't sure if would considered be "spamming" and therefore inappropriate / unprofessional
 
Magnus Medical runs TMS trials nationwide. If you have research infrastructure and want to serve as a study site, perhaps you could work out a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Thanks @tr ! Will definitely give it a try
 
TBH I think your original post was perfectly clear.

Is there a reason that your recently retired better-known colleagues can't help provide introductions on your behalf? Are any of them emeritus status and still peripherally involved in the dept?
I can ask again for sure

Based on my last convo with my senior ECT colleagues who are now retiring, it seems the other regional academic centers in our area don't have anything in the pipeline currently or don't seem eager to collaborating with our academic center with my senior neurostimulation colleagues' retirement (or possibly with me leading the helm here given my relative inexperience)

Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, but I understand where the other academic centers are coming from not wanting to work with someone they're not familiar with — hence me trying to cast a wider net
 
Thank so much — I might try that as a one-time solicitation for research collaborators then

I was aware of the ECT listserv but since it sends the email to everyone I wasn't sure if would considered be "spamming" and therefore inappropriate / unprofessional
I will say as someone who is on multiple listservs, this would be one of the more appropriate uses that I would actually read. The ACLP conference just happened and the number of people who used our SIG listservs to ask specific members about meeting up or random questions about family overwhelmed by inbox.