ED order review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beginning this year, JCAHO requires Pharmacists to review med orders at ED. I am just wondering if anyone here know how to comply with this new policy? This seems to be the most challenging task for me so far...

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh! Another of JCAHO's impractical & cumbersome tasks.

Honestly? The review will be primarily retroactive just because the drugs are given as they're ordered....within minutes (unless they're waiting on lab tests/MRI's/CT's, etc.....)

You can lock out things like antibiotics until the order is placed in the computer system. But, practically, you have to allow & have available narcs, adenosine, IV fluids, K+, ntg, dopamine, nipride, all resucitative drugs without review other than retrospective. Likewise, its just nonsense to argue with a physician about the need for a drug when they're doing their job & you're doing yours - which might be covering the whole hospital by yourself at night!

Now...your eye rooms - the mydriatics & miotics again are impractical to have wait for a pharmacist & frankly - the incidence of drug error is low.

We're not a trauma hospital, but even at our low load, this is ridiculous!

Don't get me started on JCAHO!

we're a trauma hospital and at night there is often only one pharmacist covering the whole house...
*so we're supposed to delay emergent treatment pending a pharmacist's review as well as delay treatment for the rest of the inpatients for whom we are responsible, is that what you want, JCAHO?*

yes, don't get me started on JCAHO as well....ugh!:thumbdown: