edinburgh vs cornell (equine focus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleetwoodquack

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

after hearing all of my decisions i've narrowed down to cornell and edinburgh, but i'm very torn between the two. i'm oos everywhere (no in state vet school) and fortunate enough to have parental support so cost is not a major factor in deciding (and yes i know the sdn mantra about choosing schools!!).

i am hoping to track equine and leaning heavily towards equine sports medicine, and from what i understand the program at cornell is one of the best in the world - their research opportunities are especially interesting to me. additionally, connections are a big deal in the equestrian world and some current cornell students i've talked to have told me that they felt very well set up in getting equine opportunities through cornell. finding jobs in equine vet is already a nightmare so support there is a major plus for me! the problem-based learning curriculum aligns very well with my learning style and is something i think i would benefit from a lot. another factor is that cornell is close to my family, who haven't seen much of me in a year and a half bc i currently live in the eu - i don't know how we would handle four more years of barely seeing each other :'( in terms of downsides, i do want the flexibility to work in the eu in the future, and i think that could be more difficult to achieve coming from a us school. also, the curriculum isn't pass/fail.

on the other hand, there's edinburgh - the equine program seems less robust from what i've heard so far. they also have ems requirements which seem a little time consuming, i'm not sure how i feel about them being part of the curriculum. another thing that makes me slightly nervous is the lack of tests/exams, it sounds like there's a big one at the end of each course and very little in between (stressful for serial procrastinators like me). one thing i like a lot about the school is all of the accreditations they have - like i mentioned i would like to have the flexibility to work in the eu in the future so that is a plus for me, but also it seems like most eu governments recognize american degrees if you submit official requests to the govt, and i know of a few american vets working abroad, so i'm not sure if it's a significant advantage. the culture at the school seems less competitive and more laid back, since it's pass/fail and there's a big focus on work/life balance. and maybe it's a silly consideration, but the ability to travel around on weekends for fun/getting experience sounds great to me. i'm also a big dressage freak and the amount of major competitions happening in the general area (especially the netherlands) could be a cool opportunity to possibly gain opportunities and connections.

essentially, i feel like both schools could offer me something different and i'm having trouble deciding which would be better for me. if you have any insight on either of these schools, especially in regards to their equine programs, i would really appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.